Bunny poo tea

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
I'm guessing this has been discussed before but I am curious if I can make this simply and quickly. I want to be able to fertilize my vegetable starts with rabbit compost tea asap. Can I just put some poop in a bucket and add water? How long does it take to brew? What is the water/pellet ratio?

Thank you! New to rabbits and on my 4th year of vegetable gardening. Such a novice...

I haven't made bunny manure tea, but I have made horse manure and compost tea.

My ultra-scientific method (not!) is to put some poo (or compost) in a bucket, preferably in a cotton or burlap bag, and then fill the bucket with water.

When my husband complains about the reeking bucket of poo-water, I dilute it according to the stench factor, and water my plants.

So far, I haven't killed anything, but my Hubs probably wishes he was dead. :roll:

Basically, there is no right and wrong to manure tea. You can put the berries directly in the water, or you can crush them first, or you can put them in a pouch. You can leave them in a week, four weeks, whatever. You can mix it all together into a slurry which you then dilute, or you can remove the berries and use just the tea, diluted.

If you click "search" above, and enter "manure tea", you'll come up with a bunch of old threads about it. :)

I deleted your other thread, too, so it's not still hangin' out there. :)

Thank you thank you!

Now I need to find a burlap sack or maybe I do the slurry way. I just want results now! Need to find a place to keep the stinky pot.

Maxine":3w3yi8u1 said:
Thank you thank you!

Now I need to find a burlap sack or maybe I do the slurry way. I just want results now! Need to find a place to keep the stinky pot.

Just put the stuff in a bucket and cover with a board...
Also,, putting a fish tank aerator in the water, will hold down odor- as the bacteria growing will be aerobic, rather than the sewage-type anaerobic..

The woven plastic feed bags work very well and don't disintegrate as quickly as burlap.

We have rain barrels, not sure how much water they hold but they are 4 feet tall, and we place about a 20 pound bag of manure in, you want the bag light enough so you can haul out when it is soaking wet, and we keep the barrel filled with water and replace the bag with a fresh one after a couple weeks depending on how much watering we do.

Once the plants begin to develop fruits and veggies we are careful to only water the roots and stop using it two weeks before harvest.

Hmm I wonder if I could just make some sort of strainer and put the berries in the strainer then put the strainer in the 330gal water barrel I have. Perma tea every time I water the garden. Although my wife pointed out that it would be VERY diluted unless I put a lot of berries in there. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do....

mystang89":t5wheuey said:
Hmmmm, what to do, what to do....

Well, the answer to that is simple.

Keep more rabbits, of course!

:bunnyhop: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :lilbunny: :bunnyhop:

Poor Mystang... that freezer full of rabbit meat just keeps hopping further and further away...

ok this sounds stinky! I am wondering why you'd make a tea in the first place? Rabbit manure is the only manure that can be applied directly to plants without burning them - which is what I do, liberally, to my garden. Other manures one would need to make a tea if fresh. I like to think of my little pellets as time released fertilizer... so let me know what I don't know here. thanks!

I would feed that rabbit poop to 1000's of worms then use the worm poop to make the compost tea. Thats a Double Win!! Plenty of worms and plenty of castings.

Rabbit poop soaking in water can Get Rough, smell wise.!! That reminds me----I got some soaking in water right now I need to go add to the worm bins!

Liquid rabbit poop is stinky!
I put 1in poop in a jar, filled with water 1in from the lid. Closed it and shook it every day until the berries fell apart. Strained it with an old sock and left the liquid in another air tight jar to mold over and settle again. Kind of don't want to open it again just to find out it still stinks...surely don't want to spread the smell around the house to my house plants...
Make the 'tea' outside, not in your kitchen....

I also layered the poo in my 20 gallon long aquarium, topped with 2in sand and planted it. Plants are growing like crazy, fish don't mind one bit. =D

We put the manure in the veg garden in the fall, it composts over winter and is relatively harmless come spring. We do not put fresh manure on in the spring as we don't want poop spray-back on our crops, this is to minimize pathenogenic bacteria contamination.

The tea is a way to fertilize without chemicals, especially during fruit developement, and add much needed nitrogen at this critical time.

Manure goes on the flower garden and fruit trees any time of year.

Dood":spoleti9 said:
We put the manure in the veg garden in the fall, it composts over winter and is relatively harmless come spring. We do not put fresh manure on in the spring as we don't want poop spray-back on our crops, this is to minimize pathenogenic bacteria contamination.

The tea is a way to fertilize without chemicals, especially during fruit developement, and add much needed nitrogen at this critical time.

Manure goes on the flower garden and fruit trees any time of year.

Good plan. It's too late now as our beds and containers are mixed with pellets and dirt. Next year I will be more cautious though with our food. I won't be adding more beds at this point.

Manure teas also permit foliar feeding, which can be a blessing if the plants are suddenly s tressed. teas also permit a small supply of amnnure to feed a larger number of plants.

Umm, closing off a container to air will always produce a stinky product-- the smell of sewage/ rot/ etc is caused by anaerobic bacteria- (bacteria that grow in low or no oxygen environments) One must provide oxygen to reduce or prevent bad odors...

Hmm I wonder if I could just make some sort of strainer and put the berries in the strainer then put the strainer in the 330gal water barrel I have. Perma tea every time I water the garden. Although my wife pointed out that it would be VERY diluted unless I put a lot of berries in there. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do....
Go to a paint store and get a paint strainer. I know they have one gallon and 5 gallon strainers but it works excellent

Thank you thank you!

For small batches i use one of those cheesecloth bags you get for herb satchets and put the berries in there...tie a string (most already have one) and make like a crap tea bag😆 I drop this into a little gallon pitcher or watering can...dunk it around occasionally and just water straight from there after about a week. I also reuse my little bag...just empty, rinse...refill.

For my garden i put a 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of manure out in the rain till its full...takes a minute under a gutter... move it under shelter when full for about a week ... then just dump the whole thing where needed. Rainwater is so full of extra nutrients.. ive found this to be nature's miracle gro.

Back