Bucks together

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, if the bucks are intact (not neutered) and there are does around or if the buck is being used for breeding, there will always be power plays for dominance, which will be at minimum intimidation (chasing) and as intense fighting to the death. I've read horror stories of bucks tearing each other apart. I've never let it get so far as fights. Though I've also read that the bucks will figure it out...?

I was talking to someone once and they told me to fix my rabbits even though it was 500 dollars each

i didn't of course because I have them for showing and breeding

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that a separate cage still means they are "around". In another thread it was recommended that you make sure you don't smell like the females when you handle the males. If they smell a female, they will act like the female is there.

Do you guys think that I will be able to put three bucks together in a large cage or do I need to make separations?
It really depends on temperament. I had 3 bucks and 4 does in a large pen, but the bucks were very laid back. 2 were very laid back 1 was a bit more aggressive, so the dominant male could roam the does and no competition stirred. This was after many times of observation and making sure they wont fight.

They did great in the temporary colony! They pretty much left my does alone as well, and all of them got along just fine!

But I also just seem to have insanely docile rabbits so be sure if you try to pair them you are ready to separate them.

I had 2 pens with multiple bucks (one pen had 2 boys 1 girl) because some rabbits just don't get along with others, but are fine with some, so it was really just matchmaking for me, worked out well though! No casualties not even much more than a single tuft of hair when I paired 2 that didn't get along (separated immediately)

@Zee-Man do you have multiple bucks or only one? Old thread but I was planning on housing 2 breeding bucks together, in the crate within the colony, once the babies reach maturity. I will select my buck from this litter for temperament and the adult buck currently is housing with the babies very well, they crawl through his crate to be with him. I've been letting the adult buck out into the main colony to chose to breed, and no fights have occurred. I keep him let out, in the colony more than I keep him crated. I only crate him for the first weeks prior and post kindling.

@Zee-Man do you have multiple bucks or only one? Old thread but I was planning on housing 2 breeding bucks together, in the crate within the colony, once the babies reach maturity. I will select my buck from this litter for temperament and the adult buck currently is housing with the babies very well, they crawl through his crate to be with him. I've been letting the adult buck out into the main colony to chose to breed, and no fights have occurred. I keep him let out, in the colony more than I keep him crated. I only crate him for the first weeks prior and post kindling.
I have had bucks from the same litter decide to fight at 12 weeks and tear each other to shreds, I have kept others together (away from females) for almost a year. Having them in the colony where they see and smell females is going to up the liklihood of fighting. I would just get a second dog crate and put them next to each other. If they want to snuggle thru the wire they can, but one can't bully the other.

I did let the kits have garden time with the buck, worked perfectly, he always was very friendly to every kit. And then they hit puberty, and those little hotspurs started to attack the buck. He was still friendly and somewhat startled, and dodged the attacks, but I had to seperate him from the usurpers.

Does can have disputes over establishing a pecking order, they have several gradual escalation steps in a conflict, and imo most times it works out if the setup is ok.

Bucks have a different agenda, in nature they drive rivals comming of age away, even in places where you don't have a local rabbit population sometimes a young buck passes by (young and small enough to fit through the fence, but mature enough to knop up one of my does 3 times his size :D)
If the rival can't get away it can escalate in seconds to a gory, bloody mess. I keep bucklings together for up to 5 months, this usually works, it was just once in 10 years that I came home and had to euthanize 3 out of 5 right away. Now, when I notice tensions building it's time for freezer camp.

In my experience bigger groups and space help to get rabbits get along, but I would be wary to keep bucks together, at least those I want to keep.

Thank you all for your experience. Makes sense about the does establishing a pecking order vs the bucks guarding their territory. I will certainly heed the warnings and stack a second crate on top so the bucks can't even see or interact thru the wire, and also so the main buck doesn't get agitated when roaming the colony. I've also heard that rabbits can breed through wire! So hopefully this will help keep the breeding lines more structured.

The one buck, every time I let him out, goes on a spray mission. So I can see why the guys would be sensitive about claiming their spot and the presence of other bucks.

Thanks again for all the input and warnings, y'all save me from making a lot of stupid mistakes!

I would think that it would work for some bucks, right?
Yes, but things can change quickly so be observant and ready to act. I I have shelters for groups in separate yards. Free run during day, closed in at night. I buck with 5 does, (3 with kits)1 buck with 2does ( no kits yet) and a grow out pen where population varies. its funny that the buck with the 5 does seems bothered by the buck with 2. Trying to bite thru fence, dig thru etc.he once snuck thru gate with me and there was an immediate, vicious buck fight. I was bitten bad trying to separate them. They are not defenseless little balls of fur. Those teeth can do some damage. Both bucks seem to keep the does away from mutual fence except the older queen. However the yard on opposite side had 7 bucks in it. He didn't seem bothered by them at all. No matter what you have ,lots of places to hide or get away from each other, helps keep the peace. Keep watching and be ready to make changes.

I have never been able to put bucks together. I have two very sweet-natured, loving bucks that attack each other every time they accidentally get let together by my daughter. I also have a neutered male that is incredibly territorial. He attempts to fight my house buck every time through the cage bars when one of them is let loose and not placed in separate rooms, even though they live in the same room in their separate enclosures. I wish they could get along as winter is coming it is hard to keep them separated and still give both boys time to run the house.

Latest posts

Back