Buck With Spraying Issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitsOfTheCreek

Netherland Dwarf Breeder & Well-known Member
Reaction score
I've got this Himi Netherland Dwarf Buck named Whilber. He's got Wry Neck and loves to run around in circles all the time.

For the past month or two I think, he'll be running around in his circles and he'll flick pee. He's done it to where it all lands in his cage most of the time, but he's flicked a lot of it on me.

He's about one and a half I'm pretty sure, so this isn't a "Teenager stage". He's not around any Does or even any Bucks, and this is a fairly new-ish thing he's been doing.

I want to get him fixed, I have for the past few weeks, and we thought it would cost around $100, but we looked the other day and it costs $500! I still want to get him neutered, but that's a lot of money for a small rabbit.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make him do it less? I doubt treats will work because he doesn't usually eat treats. His cage gets wiped down every day. Would something like smelling salts work?

Thanks

16475552710083206896165128389063.jpg

nope.

that said people have tried various things like spraying water back at them... that either stops it or makes it worse.

the fact that it started 1.5 years of age might mean something is up with him hormonally. Might be worth checking out

nope.

that said people have tried various things like spraying water back at them... that either stops it or makes it worse.

the fact that it started 1.5 years of age might mean something is up with him hormonally. Might be worth checking out
Alright thanks for the information

I should also add that he's kinda stoopid

You might try some rabbit rescue organizations that may have recommendations for low cost vets.

When my bucks start doing that, they're just a bit..."excited." Breeding them tends to make it go away. Since he's got wry neck, you'd probably not want to bred him. Do you have a spayed doe with which he could try to relieve his sexual frustrations? Maybe adding a toy in there for him to hump will help. Odd that it took him to 1.5 years to start getting antsy. Maybe he's a late bloomer from his issues?

I wonder if you could use bands to castrate him. He's probably too old for that, though, and I guess the testicles are too close to the body on rabbits. Not as easy as castrating a ram that way! Maybe something worth researching? However, that may be a dead end the more I think of it...

When my bucks start doing that, they're just a bit..."excited." Breeding them tends to make it go away. Since he's got wry neck, you'd probably not want to bred him. Do you have a spayed doe with which he could try to relieve his sexual frustrations? Maybe adding a toy in there for him to hump will help. Odd that it took him to 1.5 years to start getting antsy. Maybe he's a late bloomer from his issues?

I wonder if you could use bands to castrate him. He's probably too old for that, though, and I guess the testicles are too close to the body on rabbits. Not as easy as castrating a ram that way! Maybe something worth researching? However, that may be a dead end the more I think of it...
No, we have no spayed Does.

He has two jingly balls, a little yellow house like thing, and a bigger ball that is kind of made out of hay in his cage

He likes to dig in his food bowls and the other day, and I'm pretty sure he was just pulling himself forward, but it kind of looked like he was mounting it

I'm pretty sure he was just pulling himself forward, but it kind of looked like he was mounting it

Maybe try adding a stuffie in there for him to hump. Perhaps get one of those durable dog toys so he doesn't just shred it. It may help. I think they get a bit friskier this time of year. Lots of hormones and instincts are telling him it's time to breed. It may just pass with time, but I think if he found a way to relieve his frustrations would calm him down a bit.

Back