Buck with one nut?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
So, I have a pure bred creme d'argent buck who is about 6 months old. His second testicle hasn't dropped. He mates, but is this an issue? Claude our mainstay is intact.

I watch our breedings, so I know he hasn't been emasculated.

I don't know how it works with rabbits...but in the other animals I've raised (horses, dogs) when a testicle doesn't descend, it can, and usually DOES cause hormonal problems in them. Usually leading to aggressiveness. Watch carefully for changes in behavior.

Rabbits have the lovely ability to pull their testicles up into their bodies. I had one little MR buck who always appeared to have NO testicles at all until I shook him up a bit and then like magic he had a complete pair! Judges often will gently pick up a buck and drop him onto the table from a height of 3 or 4 inches to get the rabbit to drop testicles. Many a buck has been dq'd for only one testicle when he really did have two, it was just too frightened or freaked out to release one. I wouldn't count your guy out just yet, pay attention to which one he appears to have and see if it ever 'changes sides' or rough him up a bit, rub his belly and see if he drops the second. This one of the reasons why rabbits can be so hard to neutor, they have two scrotums and a large testicular opening into their bodies that has to be sewn shut during the operation. So, is that TMI?

I have met many a buck that the shelter thought was neuetered - once comfortable in rescue the testicles drop ... whoops!

I just witnessed (last night) someone shake the other testicle down. :eek: Big rabbit, she grabbed him securely by the front end, and held his back end with the other hand..then lifted him UP int he air and WHOOOSH downward quickly..three times. Both testicles full and in place.

What an ODD thing to see :) Rabbit was fine with it, too.

Ok but if he can't get it to drop then there may be complications...first if its floating up in his body then it will be too hot to produce which is not bad because there is a spare, however there is a possibility of it twisting and cutting off circulation which would be bad. Much like a twisted gut in a horse or flipped cow stomach, that's life threatening.Never heard of it happening in rabbits but to be honest who would know thats what happened unless they necropsied, so maybe its more common than we know?

Latest posts

Back