Buck suddenly aggressive?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Mama

Mini Plush Lops Furever
Reaction score
I went to breed one of my does today (proven doe) with one of my bucks (proven buck). I usually move them to a tractor to do the breeding, but I tried taking the doe to the buck's cage. The buck attacked her very aggressively and I quickly seperated them. I tried again later, same thing. Hours later, I tried to move the to a tractor and THE SAME THING.

Did I just ruin everything until they forget? What did I do wrong? I know the difference of rabbits being aggressive and nippy or establishing dominance. They were extremely aggressive, loads of fur pulled as I fought to separate them.

That’s really weird! Could something else be going on with him environmentally I wonder?
I foolishly put the doe with a different buck and then moved her in with the new buck right after that (no fall offs, I changed my mind). I thought that must have been the cause of aggression since she must still smell like the buck.

I put him with a the same doe today and same reaction. Then I different doe who had never been around another buck. SAME THING. What is going on?!

Take him out of his space and give them a neutral territory to breed? Also, if he does attack a doe, grab him and thump his nose. Not terribly hard, just enough that he will know not to attack the doe again. They learn pretty quickly if there's consequences to bad behavior.

I would probably keep a buck kit as a secondary buck for breeding to that doe if the situation doesn't resolve itself. I know how hard it can be when a beloved buck is acting out and not doing his job.

I would probably keep a buck kit as a secondary buck for breeding to that doe if the situation doesn't resolve itself. I know how hard it can be when a beloved buck is acting out and not doing his job.
Have you had this happen before? I do have a young buck right now. I can only assume he isn't feeling well.

Back