Buck Not Eating, Help Please! NOW URGENT!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I went to feed my favorite buck (of course it's the best buck I own) and he was not eating. He has a history of digestive problems so I gave him 2 papaya enzyme tablets (GNC brand) and gave him some ProBios. He wasn't drinking so I force fed him water, than dissolved pellets in water and added a bit of ACV and syringe fed him that as well. But now I'm confused, because he ate one dandelion leaf, and he showed great enthusiasm towards carrot slices. However, he grinds his teeth a lot when he's eating and something just doesn't seem right there. He can't chew on a whole carrot. He tries and just gets really tiny chunks off. So I'm wondering if it's a tooth problem or a digestive problem? He is lethargic as well. I have given him hay and dandelion greens, grass, pineapple, oats, spinach, lettuce, carrot... He won't touch anything unless I shove it in his face.
I just really hope he pulls through. So far he's won me best of breed every time I put him on the table. He's just such a sweetie. Normally I wouldn't consider veterinary care unless it was absolutely necessary, but I'm seriously considering calling my vet. The only problem is, it's the weekend, and I can't afford emergency care. What would you do for him at this point?

If it's not his teeth you might try this
marshmallow.png
If you live somewhere WEEDS grow and are NOT sprayed,
you can look for this plant, marshmallow, it can have little purple/pink flowers,
and most rabbits will eat it if they will eat anything
and I have used it for rabbits that seem to have gut issues.

I now dig it up in advance when I have anyone coming to buy a rabbit
and send it home with them since I had someone who came from 6
hours away and then got home to her urban apartment and contacted
me in panic because her new pet did not seem to be eating or drinking.
She didn't have access to the "weed"
I dug some and stuffed it in a envelope & mailed to to her.
I decided I had PLENTY to spare and did not want that to happen again :)

Those mallows are another of those wonderful families of invasive plants that are so good for our bunnies. The one in the picture Caroline posted looks like Common Mallow (it has a host of common names, including marshmallow, but there is also related species that the confection marshmallow was originally made from. :campfire: The botanical name for Common Mallow is Malva sylvestris if you want to learn more about it. It apparently has many medicinal and nutritional benefits. I fed it regularly to my rabbits as part of their natural diet. The related species are also good, but not as plentiful as the Malva sylvestris or it's annual counterpart Malva neglecta.

I did look at his teeth and doesnt have malloclusion. But I don't know much about other teeth issues. Is there something I should look for?
I think it may be gut issues as he is not eating anything at all now.

It sounds like gut issues, if he is not eating at all. Is he still pooping?

If you think his digestive system is shutting down, it is vital that you get fluids and liquified food into him, even if you have to syringe it into him. I've never had to do that, but I understand that if using a syringe without the needle, it is possible to squeeze the water, electrolytes, liquified food etc. little by little into the side of the rabbit's mouth, through the gap between the front teeth and the molars. Be sure not to choke him by going too fast.

If you have a blender, you can make a slurry of some of his pellets and maybe something a bit laxative like dandelion leaves blended with some water.

I hope someone who has experience of this will chime in with more exact advice, but I wouldn't wait. Time is critical.
:good-luck:

He is now nibbling on dandelion leaves. He has a very very long history of digestive issues, so from my experience, now (48 hours) is make it or break it. I'm hoping he'll survive by nibbling enough and me syringe feeding him water and liquified pellets. If he is better by Monday, great. Otherwise if I baby him along until Monday I may take him into the vet.

I would get him out and really encourage him to move around. If a horse gets colic you get them out there and trot them around. Many times exercise encourages gut movement. One good poop and really set things going in the right direction. Most rabbits just sit around to much. One reason for the largest cage you can manage. I also like to put water and feed as far apart as possible in a cage.

Good advice, Blue Haven. :goodjob:

I wish I had thought of that when I was posting.

Edited to add: I've also heard that massaging the rabbit's belly can help get things moving along. I'm not too clear on how this is done, but entering the word massage or something similar in the Search box in the menu at right should turn up some references to it.

Latest posts

Back