Buck No Longer Interested In Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaul

Reaction score
When I first got the new Buck (has was about 6 months old) and put him with the older Doe (she's 2 years), he was doing his job (wrong way mind you until I turned him around Lol!) but since then he's not interested at all. This was over a month ago.

He is pretty hungry when I feed him his pellets in the evening. I feed them both about 1/2 cup per day and grass in the morning. If I fatten him up a bit, will that help?

The Doe had 8 kits in February according to her breeding records from the lady I bought the doe from. So she should not be sterile.

To me, the Buck should be pretty eager but he isn't. Not sure what happened?

New bucks can be easily traumatized by older does. Did she chase him? The bucks often mount the head first, probably gets his scent on her, and then change around on their own. After you put him in the right position, did he complete the breeding? Or did he feel like he was doing something wrong when you moved him, and quit trying? I've had both things happen. The doe would be anxious and try to breed the buck and chase the buck, and a young buck might simply cower and quit trying. I've also had older does that didn't want rebred, and the younger buck quit trying. I've repositioned bucks and then had them quit trying.

And lastly, check the vulva of the doe (the 'slit' under the anus when you turn the doe upside down.) Is it dark purplish red? If so, she may not be receptive, and the buck may know it. While rabbits are induced ovulators, the doe releases eggs when bred, they do have little mini cycles of receptivity. If the doe's vulva is dark red, give her a few days and try again. The same applies when the vulva is pale whitish pink and small. The buck may recognize she is not in a receptive mood. You want to see a nice pink, moist, somewhat enlarged vulva, it may be a gentle purplish/reddish/pink, but usually not super dark. This tells you the doe should be receptive to the buck, and the buck can usually smell the difference.

When you say 'fattened up', is the buck underweight? I had a buck that lost any interest in breeding the does. When I did my next condition check and found he had lost weight (hard to see under all that angora wool), I searched for the reason, and found that he wore a hole through his feed hopper by banging on it, and the feed was dribbling through and I didn't know it (we have chickens and ducks that clean up the spilled grain.) I changed the feed hopper to a bowl, gave him extra feed until he reached optimum weight again, and soon he was back to siring litters. So yes, condition can make a difference. However, too much fat can hamper any desire to breed. Rabbit Size-O-Meter has a chart showing how to tell body condition.

The half-cup of pellets and grass may be sufficient depending on the quality and protein content of the pellets and the size of the rabbit. Looking at Purina's feeding chart at https://www.purinamills.com/getmedi...Rabbit-Feed-Brochure-Update-2019.pdf?ext=.pdf, they're recommending as little as 2-3 oz. for a small breed, up to 12 oz. of pellets for a giant type breed. Do the body condition test to see if what you are feeding is working for you. If the rabbits are too thin, you may need to add more pellets, or find a pellet with more protein. 14% protein is sufficient for non-breeding stock for maintenance, but 16-18% is generally preferred for breeding stock.

Another potential issue is heat. After five days of temps over 85 degrees F, or three days over 90, bucks can be sterile for the next six weeks or so. Since you're in Ontario, that may not be a big issue this late in the season, but it can be a contributing issue in the summer.

I've had a rabbit kindle 31 days after I would have sworn there hadn't been a mating. The buck seemed completely uninterested, but he must have been interested enough.

I don't always maintain complete concentration watching a pair that are just put together. After a few minutes I usually lose interest and wander off to get a pencil or something. Rabbits can be quick.

New bucks can be easily traumatized by older does. Did she chase him? The bucks often mount the head first, probably gets his scent on her, and then change around on their own. After you put him in the right position, did he complete the breeding? Or did he feel like he was doing something wrong when you moved him, and quit trying? I've had both things happen. The doe would be anxious and try to breed the buck and chase the buck, and a young buck might simply cower and quit trying. I've also had older does that didn't want rebred, and the younger buck quit trying. I've repositioned bucks and then had them quit trying.

And lastly, check the vulva of the doe (the 'slit' under the anus when you turn the doe upside down.) Is it dark purplish red? If so, she may not be receptive, and the buck may know it. While rabbits are induced ovulators, the doe releases eggs when bred, they do have little mini cycles of receptivity. If the doe's vulva is dark red, give her a few days and try again. The same applies when the vulva is pale whitish pink and small. The buck may recognize she is not in a receptive mood. You want to see a nice pink, moist, somewhat enlarged vulva, it may be a gentle purplish/reddish/pink, but usually not super dark. This tells you the doe should be receptive to the buck, and the buck can usually smell the difference.

When you say 'fattened up', is the buck underweight? I had a buck that lost any interest in breeding the does. When I did my next condition check and found he had lost weight (hard to see under all that angora wool), I searched for the reason, and found that he wore a hole through his feed hopper by banging on it, and the feed was dribbling through and I didn't know it (we have chickens and ducks that clean up the spilled grain.) I changed the feed hopper to a bowl, gave him extra feed until he reached optimum weight again, and soon he was back to siring litters. So yes, condition can make a difference. However, too much fat can hamper any desire to breed. Rabbit Size-O-Meter has a chart showing how to tell body condition.

The half-cup of pellets and grass may be sufficient depending on the quality and protein content of the pellets and the size of the rabbit. Looking at Purina's feeding chart at https://www.purinamills.com/getmedi...Rabbit-Feed-Brochure-Update-2019.pdf?ext=.pdf, they're recommending as little as 2-3 oz. for a small breed, up to 12 oz. of pellets for a giant type breed. Do the body condition test to see if what you are feeding is working for you. If the rabbits are too thin, you may need to add more pellets, or find a pellet with more protein. 14% protein is sufficient for non-breeding stock for maintenance, but 16-18% is generally preferred for breeding stock.

Another potential issue is heat. After five days of temps over 85 degrees F, or three days over 90, bucks can be sterile for the next six weeks or so. Since you're in Ontario, that may not be a big issue this late in the season, but it can be a contributing issue in the summer.
Wow thanks for all of that info. I will certainly check the links. Would the Doe's vulva be similar to when a dog is in heat? Just something I could compare to. I did check her yesterday and it was pink. She's a black rabbit so I have to actually take a close look.

As for the Buck, he seems a little slimmer from when I got him. So I will increase his pellets because he seems very hungry when I feed him in the evening. I was also thinking today that maybe his lack of interest may be because he is lethargic and has no energy.

Another very bizarre thing that has been happening is the Bucks water bottle is completely empty every evening from when I filled it the night before. It's not leaking because sometimes there is still water in it. Is it possible for him to drink that much? The Doe has the same bottle and is never empty.

Lastly, yes we had a hot September here and the weather is just staring to drop just above freezing at night. So that is another good tip about him being too hot the past month or so.

I've had a rabbit kindle 31 days after I would have sworn there hadn't been a mating. The buck seemed completely uninterested, but he must have been interested enough.

I don't always maintain complete concentration watching a pair that are just put together. After a few minutes I usually lose interest and wander off to get a pencil or something. Rabbits can be quick.
Yes I was also thinking that maybe he knows that the Doe is pregnant. I have left them together in his cage for the entire day a few times, so maybe somehting happened while I wasn't watching. I put a kindle box in the Doe's cage for now in case she is pregnant. I'll she if she starts making a nest.

With the same two rabbits I've had one fall off and a kit and another time none fall offs and nothing

Latest posts

Back