Buck isnt eating

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowJudy56210

Reaction score
Hey everyone. It's me, shade! I'm getting a bit worried. My buck has barely touched his rabbit food and he takes 2 full days to even finish the hay. I dont know what to do (cant afford a vet visit atm.) Usually when I feed the doe and her kits (since they eat a little bit of both food and hay) they immediately begin to eat but the buck doesn't. I even tried giving him lettuce and a piece of banana. Ofc he ate the banana but he took all day yesterday to eat the lettuce.

(Though yesterday he only ate the lettuce if judy took a bite first. It's as if he want to be with his family but I fear he might impregnate Judy too soon.)

What can I do?

Try and give him other things like apples, strawberries, watermelon, and a little bit of tomato

Is he losing condition? Are you able to feel his hips and spine very clearly?

If he isn't losing significant weight, try adding some plain oats to the top of his pellets to encourage more eating.

If he is losing a lot of weight, you'll need to determine the root cause (parasites, injury, overgrown teeth, etc.) to correct it and start packing on weight. You could offer some molasses and black oil sunflower seeds, as well as the oats.

I'd avoid the molasses if he's not losing a lot of weight now as he may begin snubbing his nose at foods without the added sugars (at least mine did!).

Is he losing condition? Are you able to feel his hips and spine very clearly?

If he isn't losing significant weight, try adding some plain oats to the top of his pellets to encourage more eating.

If he is losing a lot of weight, you'll need to determine the root cause (parasites, injury, overgrown teeth, etc.) to correct it and start packing on weight. You could offer some molasses and black oil sunflower seeds, as well as the oats.

I'd avoid the molasses if he's not losing a lot of weight now as he may begin snubbing his nose at foods without the added sugars (at least mine did!).
I bought quackery oats (old fashion ofc) and he IMMEDIATELY started eating it >.> but then started eating hay lol. As for the spine and ribs, I dont see it nor do I feel much of it. (Only feel it if i put pressure ofc).

Is there also anything else to feed him just incase he refuses the oats?

(Shadow is pretty smart. He'll eat it for probably a day or 2 and then usually stops until I give him something else <.< is kale ok for them?)

I bought quackery oats (old fashion ofc) and he IMMEDIATELY started eating it >.> but then started eating hay lol. As for the spine and ribs, I dont see it nor do I feel much of it. (Only feel it if i put pressure ofc).

Is there also anything else to feed him just incase he refuses the oats?

(Shadow is pretty smart. He'll eat it for probably a day or 2 and then usually stops until I give him something else <.< is kale ok for them?)

Glad he took to the oats! And also glad that he seems to have not lost a lot of weight. Those are both positive signs.

You can try BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) if he refuses oats. Both can help him regain his weight. Oats are pretty good at upset stomachs as well.

KALE - that is a tricky one. Some people swear against using it, some people swear by using it. It can cause bloat, so it is best to try introducing it very slowly. If he's having issues eating a lot, I would probably not try introducing it now. If you do want to try feeding it, I'd suggest feeding oats alongside with it.

Here is a good thread for you: kale?

And this one may be worth looking at as well: Safe Plants for Rabbits List

I've never met a rabbit that didn't like fresh cilantro. Apples are a favorite too.

Lettuce will give rabbit diarrhea. Also be careful giving any fruit sugar isn't good for them. I would recommend ordering Rowes Gold it helps keep their gut right. I give mine a teaspoon everyday, you can give them their feed but they just sit there when you give them the the Rowe's Gold they go right to the feeder.

Try and give him other things like apples, strawberries, watermelon, and a little bit of tomato

Lettuce will give rabbit diarrhea. Also be careful giving any fruit sugar isn't good for them. I would recommend ordering Rowes Gold it helps keep their gut right. I give mine a teaspoon everyday, you can give them their feed but they just sit there when you give them the the Rowe's Gold they go right to the feeder.
I've been giving him Romanian lettuce (he used to love it but now if Judy doesnt bite it or even me, he wont eat it.) I'm aware about the sugars in the fruits for them. I may not be a professional but I'm highly aware.

My rabbits never had a problem with any kind of lettuce or apples giving diarrhea, not even iceberg. The key is to give tiny amounts to start with any new food. Since he's taking a long time to eat his lettuce, which requires more chewing than banana, have you checked his teeth? He could have a dental problem.

Latest posts

Back