Buck fertility question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
I am in middle TN, if that helps, and it has been in the low 80's for about a week. Nightly lows in the high 60's. We are expected to hit a high of 74 degrees on Tuesday, followed by about another week of low 80 degree weather. Definitely not the brutal summer we had last year!

I am going to breed this Monday and Tuesday. Does anyone have a guess if my buck would still be sterile? This is a mild summer for TN so I am hoping he isn't shooting blanks at this time, but can anyone give some advice from your own experiences?

I figured one of you more experienced breeders has encountered a situation/season like this and I could use some help.

I've never test bred before. If I breed on Monday and Tuesday, when would be the best time to test breed them? Or should I do this? I have heard some more experienced breeders do not do this so I have shied away from the practice. Thank you,

Joe

Heat sterility usually strikes around 94*, though I've heard of bucks having trouble at somewhat lower temps. I would guess he should be fine. I'm not sure what test breeding is exactly, but I'd just breed him like you know he's not sterile, and hope he isn't. He probably isn't. :)

:yeahthat:
I am in Southern Ontario and June was unusually hot and in the 80's for most of the month. My bucks still fathered litters (5 born and 1 due in a couple days) and they have a typical number of kits in them.

The buck may 'shoot blanks' the first day but as long as temperatures remain reasonable he should produce viable sperm the next day so give it a go and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back