Buck Breeding Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
I just checked my calendar and realized that I should probably get some rabbits bred within the next few days.

I have 4 does to breed. I had been trying to decide whether I should breed a pair of does, then another pair later, or just breed all 4 of them together. Since it's the first litter for 3 does, I'm thinking it might be best to go ahead and breed them all at the same time and just see what happens.

So, the question is, how many does can a buck breed in a day? It seems like it would decrease the chance of conception to let the buck breed several does, one right after the other. I mean, the dude's tank can only be so full, right??

How long should I wait between each doe?

Here's another question (more about the does than the buck), River is a proven doe. I definitely want her to kindle around the same time so she will be available to foster if needed (on the other hand, she had a large litter last time so I'm not sure how available she would be). Sprinkles is showing every sign of being ready to breed, even though she's just over 4 months old.

Chrissy has been showing behavior that she's probably ready and she's gotten fairly relaxed having us around, even though she still is skittish about being touched. She's just over 5 months old.

Lady hasn't shown any signs that I can tell, but then she is still very nervous and doesn't do much at all when we're around. She's ALMOST 5 months old.

So, the question is, should I still try to breed Lady, even though she's acting so skittish? Should I try to breed Sprinkles even though she's so young?

I'm hoping to get these litters (if any survive from the first time moms) sold between late august and october, then have another batch of bunnies ready for early december and the next batch ready around easter time.

I'm not sure if Fall bunnies sell very well, but I don't want the girls' FIRST breeding to be the one in anticipation of easter (plus, I don't want to wait that long to breed them if all goes well). <br /><br /> -- Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm -- <br /><br /> Anyone??

Susie570":5fce7f76 said:
So, the question is, how many does can a buck breed in a day? It seems like it would decrease the chance of conception to let the buck breed several does, one right after the other. I mean, the dude's tank can only be so full, right??

How long should I wait between each doe?
I'd probably give him 30 minutes to an hour, just to let him rest and get his energy back up. I don't know what your temps are like, but it's pretty warm here now, and a buck can wilt pretty quickly. I know others have bred several does in a day with no problems with missing.

should I still try to breed Lady, even though she's acting so skittish?
If her vent looks ready, I'd go ahead.

Should I try to breed Sprinkles even though she's so young?
Yes, I sure would. A number of members have found that young does make better mothers for some weird reason. :shock:

Thanks so much :)

Sounds like it's gonna be some 'bow-chika-bow-wow' in the shop today.

Lucky, lucky boy ;)

Interestingly, I let Scarlett have some floor time yesterday and he was able to go sniff around at all of the does. River and Chrissy were both very interested in him. Sprinkles started doing the Indi 500 in her cage (not sure if that's a good sign or a bad one) and Lady remained in scared lump mode... he didn't show a lot of interest in her.

I'll give them all a shot today though, and see how it goes. I think our bathroom is going to be the 'wedding suite', it's a nice cool, neutral area with no escape routes, but easy to grab someone if something starts going wrong.

Well, River was definitely cooperative as I thought she might be.

I let them 'do their thing' until they were both tired and cuddling. It was very cute, they obviously missed each other. About an hour and a half later, I introduced Scarlett to Chrissy. Chrissy was nervous, but seemed interested in him and she may have even lifted, I'm not sure. Scarlett certainly seemed to think so. :roll: I didn't leave them together as long. Then I brought Sprinkles out and she was really just interested in running around, having him chase her and rubbing her chin on everything. He did manage to mount her once and fell off, but whether she lifted or not, I don't know. Finally, I let him have a date with Lady. She is a strange rabbit. She didn't really seem terrified, but just very... placid. Scarlett kept kissing her face and such and she just basically looked at him. He fell off of her a couple of times, not sure if she lifted or not.

I'll try Lady again in a couple of hours and then do them all again tomorrow. The calendar is marked. We'll see who (besides River) has babies in about a month. :mrgreen:

If he did the classic fall off routine, they almost surely lifted,

not necessarily. Some bucks will fall off even if they don't connect with the doe. This is why it is important to check for proof of breeding when a buck falls off. :)

I have to say, Scarlett is proving himself to be the sweetest buck. He's very gentle and affectionate with the does. He's interested in doing his job, but he's quite the Casanova with the ladies. :) They all seem to like him and River is absolutely smitten with him. He likes to 'cuddle' and give kisses. Of course, after the heat last week he may just be shooting blanks. :lol: I guess we'll see! <br /><br /> -- Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:07 pm -- <br /><br />
ladysown":vgivuok0 said:

not necessarily. Some bucks will fall off even if they don't connect with the doe. This is why it is important to check for proof of breeding when a buck falls off. :)

How does one check for proof of breeding? Or do you just mean palpating in 2 weeks?

I looked at the doe's bottoms and I couldn't tell much. They didn't have wet backs though... so :shrug:

ladysown":24s488hd said:

Yes, I know there are bucks that do this sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be very common. :?:

Miss M":kaqjn0gc said:
ladysown":kaqjn0gc said:

Yes, I know there are bucks that do this sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be very common. :?:

It wouldn't surprise me with my boy. He's SO Dramatic about it... my goodness... he 'chuffs' at the does when he's courting them, and does the whole squeal thing when he falls off. :lol:

you check for the presence of semen in the vent. (it's a cloudy colour).

It's more common then folk think.. I've LEARNED to check. I had one boy who would squeal and fall over as soon as he got behind a gal...and leave it behind on her fur. NOT helpful that. He needed training.

If you breed the "oh I can be temperamental" holland lops... checking is a great thing as they will LOOK to lift, but sometimes quickly change their minds. Checking just helps you know that they were bred. Then it's not a game of ... did he really breed her or not??? Gives me another view of how to cull the herd.

(as in I like easy breeders, but can handle a doe who plays games as long as the job gets done, those who won't lift go out the door).

Latest posts

Back