broody broody broody

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
For the first time in two years of having chickens, we have broody hens. We finally had 4 chicks hatch. They are the most adorable little things!! We get day old baby chicks from the hatchery all the time but this is the first time we've had a hen set and hatch on her own. I am loving the experience of watching a mother hen.

0616120813-1.jpg

We have two more hens sitting on eggs. Man I hope they hatch!

You'll find that chicks hatched by a broody are generally much nicer than brooder chicks. Momma hen teaches them manners whereas brooder chicks can be little ruffians. Given the choice, I'd always prefer to let the hens do the raising.

Unfortunately, this means keeping a rooster around. We've had four roosters over the years... and only the first one, a Speckled Sussex we called Napoleon, was a pleasure to have around. We just rehomed our latest Welsummer rooster two weeks ago. He was gorgeous... but mean in a sneaky sort of way. We were very lucky to find a local breeder who was prepared to tolerate his aggressiveness in order to increase the number of Welsummers he could raise.

http://n3.cc/domestic-animals/2_IMGP5132

Cute cute !!!! I agree ,the only nice roosters i have had were a speckled sussex and a blue silkie. Roosters are jerks as a general rule.

my incubator chicks weren't very bright.

I've had a few nice roosters, but they were loud, so they didn't live.

Latest posts

Back