Bright red vent

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slov

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I aquired an overweight rabbit that doesn't seem to clean her vent/scent gland area very well. She's had poop stuck to her fur there several times that I've cleaned off and her vent seems very bright red and inflamed. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20221123_085516449.jpg
    IMG_20221123_085516449.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221123_085433361.jpg
    IMG_20221123_085433361.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thank you so much. Do you know if there is anything from maybe tractor supply I can give her? I'm guessing penicillin is a prescription.

Even after you get her cleared up, keep an eye on her. Often overweight rabbits have trouble cleaning themselves and overall grooming.
Thank you. I've read about that. My son loves this rabbit so I'm trying to do what I can for her.

sometimes TSC will carry penicillin. Or you could try polysporin.
I don't believe topically using penicillin would be a problem but I've been told only use Pen G. Or penicillin with procane included. Supposedly any other kind can kill rabbits.
This isn't just word of mouth advice, I've been told this by 2 vets and read it in several texts that are aimed at research.

I don't believe topically using penicillin would be a problem but I've been told only use Pen G. Or penicillin with procane included. Supposedly any other kind can kill rabbits.
This isn't just word of mouth advice, I've been told this by 2 vets and read it in several texts that are aimed at research.
That's good to know! Thanks.

if injected. This is not injected. It's just one spot, on a sore vent. Just pen g.

Back