breeding window

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovecharmz

Reaction score
So I really only breed a doe 2 times in a session for 2 hours. But my friend breeds at least 4 seperate times in one day and then breeds the doe again the next day 4 separate times? What is the breeding window for a rabbit for one horn? Because I know a doe can become pregnant with 2 litters.

The two litter thing is still out for debate, there is hearsay and then there is scientific articles against it. The rabbit has two horns, but not two uterus (pl) , it seems that the changes that occur in pregnancy would make it not likely that the doe would ovulate again, or that the womb would be ripe for implantation.

Anyway, after mating, the doe releases eggs 8-10 hrs later, which is why some people bred again after 8-10hrs.

I stopped doing that awhile ago, as I have found that my does produce large litters in one single mating session, where the buck only services her ONCE. Most of my does will not accept the buck after the first mating session, and have litters of 7-10 kits. the amount of eggs released is determined by the doe, and is hereditary, and there are millions of sperm that live 48-72hrs, that's plenty of time for fertilization.

I try for at least two falloffs, but if the doe refuses I can't do anything about it. But more than two is likely not useful unless the buck has had a long time off. My buck wasnt bred all winter, and the does bred the first day did not catch. The does bred the next day did though, as his "pipes" were cleaned out.

Latest posts

Back