Breeding: Why is Buck pulling does hair? Also no falloff’s what’s the likeliness she can still be pregnant

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m new to this but I put my doe and Buck together today to breed and the Buck just kept pulling chunks of her hair. Also he mounted her a bit but no falloff’s. I’m not sure she was very receptive although being in heat i think this is the first she’s been bred.

I’m new to this but I put my doe and Buck together today to breed and the Buck just kept pulling chunks of her hair. Also he mounted her a bit but no falloff’s. I’m not sure she was very receptive although being in heat i think this is the first she’s been bred.
Sometimes if the doe isn't interested, the buck will do things to get her kind of agitated, which seems to be a way of getting her "in the mood." He'll try to chase her, but if the doe doesn't run away but just clamps herself down, the buck's attempts can include scratching at her, pulling chunks of fur, nipping around her head/neck/ears, etc.

It can take a while and a few exposures to the buck for the doe to become interested. One trick is to switch cages for her and the buck for a few hours/days, so she can get used to the buck's smell. I haven't found this to be especially effective, but some breeders I know use this approach all the time.

Other times when a doe isn't cooperative, some of us old-time breeders will put her in a carrier and drive her around for a while till she's hot and bothered. That will often do the trick.

Rabbits don't technically go into heat, and are induced ovulators (breeding behavior induces ovulation) but they do seem to have a 3-4 days "cycle" during which they're more receptive than otherwise. If she won't cooperate today, try again for the next few days. Between the normal cycle and the buck's attentions, you should be able to get her bred. Giving fresh greens can also spur some interest.

Thank you so much this is great info. I’ll try again tomorrow!
Sometimes if the doe isn't interested, the buck will do things to get her kind of agitated, which seems to be a way of getting her "in the mood." He'll try to chase her, but if the doe doesn't run away but just clamps herself down, the buck's attempts can include scratching at her, pulling chunks of fur, nipping around her head/neck/ears, etc.

It can take a while and a few exposures to the buck for the doe to become interested. One trick is to switch cages for her and the buck for a few hours/days, so she can get used to the buck's smell. I haven't found this to be especially effective, but some breeders I know use this approach all the time.

Other times when a doe isn't cooperative, some of us old-time breeders will put her in a carrier and drive her around for a while till she's hot and bothered. That will often do the trick.

Rabbits don't technically go into heat, and are induced ovulators (breeding behavior induces ovulation) but they do seem to have a 3-4 days "cycle" during which they're more receptive than otherwise. If she won't cooperate today, try again for the next few days. Between the normal cycle and the buck's attentions, you should be able to get her bred. Giving fresh greens can also spur some interest

Latest posts

Back