Breeding troubles...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show Me Rabbits

Reaction score
Hello. I am just getting into raising rabbits and was waiting for cooler temps to breed my 3 new does. Have mercy.... One just whined and balled up and nothing. Even tried to assist and she would not cooperate. Two ran and ran and ran around the cage. I tried to assist by holding her and then the buck wouldn't have anything to do with her. I left her out in his cage for awhile hoping she would get tired and he could do his business. Three - I believe did get bred but I had to hold her.

Any tips? One is an older doe that I bought. I believe she is over a year old. Two and three are breeding age meat rabbits but have never had a litter.

If they haven't been with a buck before they can be freaked out. It is even worse if they aren't in the middle of breeding condition. Rabbits can breed any time but the hormones of the doe do come and go. You should check the vent color before trying to breed. If their genitals are pale white then don't bother. The darker they are from red to purple the more ready they are and the more eager they will be to breed. Another help especially with first time does but it will also encourage other does to come in to breeding condition is keeping the does in the cage next to the buck. This can result in breeding through the wire but that is not common and you have does that aren't eager to breed anyway. They will get used to the buck better and be less panicky about sharing a cage. Another way to lessen stress on the does is to just use a neutral breeding pen. The buck cage may still be too intimidating so a high sided pen can work well. Round is best but anything can help a stressed out doe. If absolutely nothing works and the doe does look to be in breeding condition, if they aren't coming in to condition that's another matter entirely, then I pair them with a less intimidating buck even if that means using a much smaller buck of a different breed and just writing off the litter as experience rather than anything useful.

akane":2c0z87b1 said:
If they haven't been with a buck before they can be freaked out. It is even worse if they aren't in the middle of breeding condition. Rabbits can breed any time but the hormones of the doe do come and go. You should check the vent color before trying to breed. If their genitals are pale white then don't bother. The darker they are from red to purple the more ready they are and the more eager they will be to breed. Another help especially with first time does but it will also encourage other does to come in to breeding condition is keeping the does in the cage next to the buck. This can result in breeding through the wire but that is not common and you have does that aren't eager to breed anyway. They will get used to the buck better and be less panicky about sharing a cage. Another way to lessen stress on the does is to just use a neutral breeding pen. The buck cage may still be too intimidating so a high sided pen can work well. Round is best but anything can help a stressed out doe. If absolutely nothing works and the doe does look to be in breeding condition, if they aren't coming in to condition that's another matter entirely, then I pair them with a less intimidating buck even if that means using a much smaller buck of a different breed and just writing off the litter as experience rather than anything useful.

Thanks! I'll try some of these tips.

I'm having a similar issue with my proven NZW Doe..she does not want any more kits and appears content on having an "empty" nest.

akane":dh9f94nx said:
You should check the vent color before trying to breed. If their genitals are pale white then don't bother. The darker they are from red to purple the more ready they are and the more eager they will be to breed.

:yeahthat: Though, you can still try if the genitals are pale, you (and your rabbit) are less likely to be successful. :)

Once you get the doe bred and back into production: Keep her there.. LOL.
You can wait until you're ready to begin weaning the youngsters before
you breed her back....but by all means breed her back. If she becomes idle,
she'll likely refuse to stand for a buck.

Watch her food intake, making sure she doesn't become overweight.
Fat does don't breed. It's not cruel to keep them a little on the
slim side. Nor is it cruel to keep them in a breeding situation with long spans
between litters. It's easier on "you" and I believe easier on them.

grumpy.

Latest posts

Back