Breeding Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
I have a female I want to try to breed but don't know when I should breed her? It would be her first litter if I do manage too. If I do when should I try? I want her babies to be plenty old enough for easter thats if I don't keep them all :lol:

My mini rexes ( does and buck) will be 5 months on the 16th, are they still too young do you think?

Thank. I don't know if she will breed but I have to at least try and if not oh well. I can try some other time. Do I have to worry about anything breeding mini rexes?

Mini rex will usually breed by 4-5months but rabbits don't breed well this time of year.

Dood":2nc4qowt said:
preciousgurl63":2nc4qowt said:
Do I have to worry about anything breeding mini rexes?
Have you dealt with "peanuts" before?

Im not familiar with "peanuts" other than limited reading about them here .... Can you explain in greater detail ??

Ramjet":3fol92r7 said:
Dood":3fol92r7 said:
preciousgurl63":3fol92r7 said:

Im not familiar with "peanuts" other than limited reading about them here .... Can you explain in greater detail ??
A peanut is a rabbit with 2 copies of the dwarf gene. It's fatal. They come out 1/4 the size of the other kits usually, and look kinda deformed, and usually die in the first week.

If you breed 2 true dwarves together, you'll get 25% peanuts, 50% true dwarves, and 25% Fake dwarves (they do not carry the dwarf gene). If you breed a true dwarf to a false dwarf, you'll get 50% true dwarves, 50% false. If you breed 2 false dwarves together, you'll get all false dwarves.

True dwarves tend to do better on the table, as false dwarves are bigger. True dwarves also tend to have shorter ears, legs, and a rounder head, which conforms to the standard more.

This site explains some more ~ http://www.raising-rabbits.com/dwarf-rabbits.html

Ramjet":10ws73u6 said:
Dood":10ws73u6 said:
preciousgurl63":10ws73u6 said:

A "peanut" is a kit who recieved two dwarf genes. They can be quite disturbing if youre not prepared for them. Many die in-utero and are absorbed or eaten with the afterbirth, the others are often malformed and all die within a few days of birth.

Mini rex are a breed that has the dwarf gene but there are many others and even larger rabbits can genetically be dwarfs, and have peanuts, but the genes making them big over ride the dwarf and make it difficult to determine who does and does not carry it.

Latest posts

Back