Breeding older buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
I've read that it is harder for a doe to breed if she hadn't had a litter before she was a year old. But does this apply to bucks as well? If I get a young buck that has never been bred before and don't I breed him until he is a couple years old, is it fine?

Also, if I have a doe that has been breed before, but then she doesn't have a litter for a couple years, can she still be bred?

Any information would be helpful, thank you!

I had a buck that was about 1 1/2 years old when I got him.
I was told he had never been used to sire any litters. I bread him to 2 does
1 took and the other did not. I have used him many time now, and he is a power house.
I do not know if this is normal or not, but his age at first breeding did not seem to effect him.

paper_crane2":369l0kq7 said:
I've read that it is harder for a doe to breed if she hadn't had a litter before she was a year old.

This is true if the doe has fat buildup around her uterus and ovaries.

But does this apply to bucks as well?

No, not really. If a buck hasn't been bred in a while, he may have a lot of dead or dying sperm in the ducts that lead from the testicles to the penis. If he is allowed to ejaculate two or three times, those will be flushed out.

Also, if I have a doe that has been breed before, but then she doesn't have a litter for a couple years, can she still be bred?

You can certainly try, but she may not get pregnant due to the aforementioned fat buildup. If she does become pregnant, there is no physiological reason that her delivery would be difficult.

I've read that it is harder for a doe to breed if she hadn't had a litter before she was a year old. But does this apply to bucks as well?
. Nope. My NZ cross buck became a daddy for the first time at 7 years old. He was our only pet rabbit for the first 6.

Latest posts

Back