Breeding my first litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.ara

Reaction score
I put these two together to breed 2 weeks ago. The black is the buck and grey is the doe. They are both mixed breed rabbits. I've been looking up some articles about genetics for coat types but that's not that helpful since I'm having a hard time telling what their coat types are called. From what I've read I think the buck is black steel and doe is chinchilla? I'm just wondering if anyone can identify for me and maybe tell me what colour kits I might be able to expect? I'm curious if they'll have any patched or if they'd be solid colored like the parents and such. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210813-135342_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210813-135342_Messenger.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20210813-135345_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210813-135345_Messenger.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 13
So I have a question... So I’m new to rabbits, I have a mini Rex buck and doe, and I bred them last night. The buck had three fall offs but after that the doe peed, infact I saw to puddles on the floor. Is there still a chance she could take or did she wash the Senon away?

She could still take...I have had this happen before and still have a litter of 7+ kits...some say it can wash semen away (and I'm going to try to make this as PG as possible) but if this mating allowed for complete copulation into the vagina then the urethra is below this opening...I'm sure you know enough about how these things work that I don't need to explain more..but to answer your question, yes it is possible she took...but depending on depth of ejaculate some or even all can technically be washed away. But in my experience with multiple fall offs pee doesn't wash everything out...for the future if this happens you can breed her again the next day

Thanks, I am sure now that she took, she is on day 18 now and I can tell her belly has definitely grown❤️

In order for any kits to be “patched” you would need what’s called the broken gene in rabbits. It’s called broken, and it’s easy to remember because it “breaks up” the rabbit’s color with blotches of white. Oversimplification: Most breeders who breed for “patched” rabbits breed a solid color to a broken color and expect about 50% of the babies to be brokens and the other half to be solid colors.

In order for any kits to be “patched” you would need what’s called the broken gene in rabbits. It’s called broken, and it’s easy to remember because it “breaks up” the rabbit’s color with blotches of white. Oversimplification: Most breeders who breed for “patched” rabbits breed a solid color to a broken color and expect about 50% of the babies to be brokens and the other half to be solid colors.
I wish this were the odds I get. I have a broken chestnut Doe that I've bred with a solid buck and out of three litters (15 kits total) we've had four broken kits. 😔

Back