Breeding:) Lionhead /holland lop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kedish

Reaction score
Hi,

I bred my lionhead with a holland lop. Holland lop is the female. I was searching how the ears were going to look like. I was searching online , so i found out my lionhead is a single mane. and also I came up one of the post in this site. One of the member bred their lion head with a holland lop too. And they actually posted the pictures of the babies! And i saw the exactly my male on that post! So i'm guessing my lionhead is a mix with a holland lop. So i bred my lionhead/hollandlop with a holland lop. So do you guys think i would get lionlops? :)

please ask me questions if you guys didn't understand my post. I wanted to post a pictures too but i don't know how to do it:)

Hi Kedish!

:welcomewagon:

Since your buck is single maned, you will get some maned and some non-maned kits. The ears are more complicated, because how they lop has a lot to do with the shape of the head. You will probably get some that have upright ears, some that have one ear that lops, some that stick out to the sides ("airplane ears"), and some that lop.

kedish":2xc86nv9 said:
I wanted to post a pictures too but i don't know how to do it:)

There are a couple of tutorials on posting pictures that may help you figure it out:

picture-tutorial-t6003.html

attachment-tutorial-t5.html

The post you mentioned might have been mine. I bred my Holland Lop to my Double Mane Lionhead. All the resulting kits were single mane. I kept a buck and doe from that litter. The buck is my avatar, the doe can be seen on my site (keebler). Other than the buck having 1 ear down, their ears didn't lop. Their body type is more like a Holland Lop than a Lionhead. I have bred those two rabbits together 3 times. In all they have had 10 kits. All but 1 has looked like a lionhead. None have had a double mane which is odd. I'd say 6 out of the 10 have had ears that lopped. Sometimes the ears don't fully lop but sometimes they do.
I have recently bred the buck and doe to Lionheads instead of each other. One I just bred tonight and the other had 2 kits both double mane. I'm hoping the ears lop but won't know for 4-6 weeks as the babies are only a few days old

Hi, thank you for all the replies. That means, im not going to set my expectations about lionlop high:)
Finally, i learned how to put the pictures up! Thank you for your help, MamaSheepDog!

and yes, CKCS, it was your post! :) Thank you for the information i will post my pictures now.

[album]2481[/album]

This is my buck,

[album]2480[/album]

[album]2482[/album]

my doe,
[album]2483[/album]

babies:)

[album]2491[/album]

[album]2490[/album]

[album]2489[/album]

[album]2486[/album]

[album]2492[/album]

It will likely take several generations to develop consist Lionlops. If I am not correct, I believe Mini Lops were originally used to develop the lionlop. I went with a Holland because my Holland Lops disposition is just awesome. Plus he was a chocolate which I love. I would suggest if you hold back a doe and buck to make sure they are single mane. Otherwise you won't be able to develop a double mane Lionlop from the rabbits you have mentioned. I plan to develop my line much further but right now the 3 litters that my second generation (beefcake and keebler) have given me have been great. They have a wide range of colors, wonderful disposition and sell very well in the pet market. The white one you have is very cute. I'm not very good with colors but I'm guessing it is a frosty/ermine. I may be completely off on that one.

update on my bunnies!!! they are now 2 months old:) ears are funny!

[album]2610[/album][album]2611[/album][album]2612[/album][album]2613[/album][album]2614[/album]

kedish":tqhvp3mv said:
update on my bunnies!!! they are now 2 months old:) ears are funny!

[album]2610[/album][album]2611[/album][album]2612[/album][album]2613[/album][album]2614[/album]

Cute. I'm a big fan of the 1up1down look lol. If you hold back a single mane doe and buck, the next generation should have better ears. At least that is how it worked for me.

I know this is an old post but I have so enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures. We bred a Holland Lop doe with a single mane Lionhead buck and are anticipating the first litter of kits this week! We are so excited. It's fun to see what yours looked like. :bunnyhop:

I've been told that you get better lop when the buck is the lop, rather than the doe.

I currently have a litter of holland lop/lionhead kits, with the holland being the buck. Almost 6wks old and none of them have lopped yet.

Latest posts

Back