breeding - buck success, doe failure?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have French Angora rabbits. I'm having problems with breeding my does, but there never seemed to be an issue before...

I have a new buck. He was VERY expensive, but I love him. He's got a huge body, great wool and temperament.

My does were getting bred perfectly fine with my former bucks, but now they are not breeding well at all with this new buck.

Here's some info.

It has been warmer weather since the change of bucks.

My does have been fed more pellets (from a well intended helper).

There have been 5 breeding attempts, 5 successful 'grunts and falls' by the buck, 4 nests made, and ONE (small) litter of kits. A doe, who usually kindles 10, had 4 (all males).

I am concerned that this buck, who is now around 9 1/2 months old, is not very viable, and I REALLY want several good offspring from him.

Another concern could be that the does have gotten fatter. If this is the case, what's the best method of getting them back in shape?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Zinnia

Not sure how hot it is where you areas your profile doesn't show location but that buck may well be heat sterile.

I may be dealing with the same issue as its been in the mid to upper 90's for the last four months here. I bred two does ~15 days ago and tried palpating them yesterday and they feel empty.

I'll see temps in the mid 90's for probably another month or so. If these does don't deliver on time , I'll likely bring my buck inside in hopes of him getting his mojo back sooner than later. That wont make my wife happy .... but I gotta get these does bred.

The first three does were done while it was around 90 degrees. One took (4 kits). The second two attempts were around 80 degrees.

I'm in the Upper Midwest.

It's cooling down quite a bit, nearly had frost this morning!

I'll try them again around new moon.

Hello Zinnia,
I suggest that you keep using the Buck,
the more you use him the faster the blanks will get gone.
To lighten your [chubby] Does: A: cut back on feed,
B: place a length of PVC pipe or twoXfour between the feeder and the water.
Heving to climb or jump over will aid in weight removal. C: If you are feeding
any type of treats, STOP them at least until the Fat is reduced to an acceptable level.
I hope this helps.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks! I just found out about the 2x4 trick. I'll do that.

So, now are there really BLANKS in there? Sorry, I guess I just don't know how that works! :oops:

If so, I'll get him busy!

Zinnia":8camx4t5 said:
Thanks! I just found out about the 2x4 trick. I'll do that.

So, now are there really BLANKS in there? Sorry, I guess I just don't know how that works! :oops:

If so, I'll get him busy!

Only way to tell is to use him .... But since he has produced , it leads me to believe it is heat related rather than the alternative.

Latest posts

Back