breed sanction at shows?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Could someone explain this to me, please? I've seen folks talking about a breed needing more bodies at the XXX show to be sanctioned. And the question "is XXX breed sanctioned at Janesville?" and so forth.

What's going on there? Do they not show every type of rabbit that wants to show? If I have a, say, Havana, and the local show doesn't have Havana sanctioned, can I still show in something? Do you have to have pre-approved breeds? Or is it that the 'sanctioned' breeds are the ones that count toward getting championship points? I'm quite confused.

There are two types of sanctions - First are ARBA sanctions, which is money paid to ARBA by the club sponsoring the show to
ensure that offical "legs" may be earned.

The second type sanction is a National Specialty Club Sanction (breed sanction). All recognized breeds have national specialty clubs. The
sponsoring show must pay a fee to the national specialty club for the sanction and the show must be ARBA sanctioned first. The
national specialty clubs offer sweepstakes programs for members. So essentially, sanctioning by a national specialty club is for
points purposes only. If a breed is not sanctioned you can still show and earn legs. Specific breed sanctions are for the purpose of points only. If you are not a member of the particular specialty club, you will not earn points in their sweeps program

ahhhhhh. cool. If a person who has a particular breed wishes to er..I suppose sponsor that...can an individual donate the price of the sanctioning? er, sanction? Or is that frowned on? (like "oh, she paid the fees so of COURSE she won" ?

Anntann":2humkvys said:
Could someone explain this to me, please? I've seen folks talking about a breed needing more bodies at the XXX show to be sanctioned. And the question "is XXX breed sanctioned at Janesville?" and so forth.

What's going on there? Do they not show every type of rabbit that wants to show? If I have a, say, Havana, and the local show doesn't have Havana sanctioned, can I still show in something? Do you have to have pre-approved breeds? Or is it that the 'sanctioned' breeds are the ones that count toward getting championship points? I'm quite confused.

Unless it is a specified specialty show (i.e., All-Holland Lop or All-Satin show), you can exhibit any breed recognized by the ARBA or that the club is willing to accept an entry fee for.

As for why clubs don't sanction some breeds, it has to do with pure numbers and economics. If they traditionally do not have breeders show up for certain breeds, it would be a waste of their money to pay a sanctioning fee thru that breed's specialty club, plus pay for awards, ribbons, premiums, etc.

__________ Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm __________

Anntann":2humkvys said:
ahhhhhh. cool. If a person who has a particular breed wishes to er..I suppose sponsor that...can an individual donate the price of the sanctioning? er, sanction? Or is that frowned on? (like "oh, she paid the fees so of COURSE she won" ?

Absolutely you can pay the fee to sanction the breed, and most clubs would welcome you doing so. In fact, I intend to do just such a thing by paying the sanction fee for the Lawrence Co. RBA show in Lawrenceburg, TN this fall. I may be the only satin breeder who shows up, but let my rabbits do well a few times in the open show and it's likely there will be a few more get into it. That's a win-win situation for me and the breed.

No club secretary is going to look down on promoting a breed at their shows. Your entry fees, raffle ticket money, concessions money, etc. goes along way toward the shows being more successful in the future as well as on the day the entries are paid.

Yanni,

If the breed is an "accepted" breed, you can just send in your entry. (For example, and American--they're rarely shown, so rarely sanctioned, but an accepted breed) There won't be a problem showing it.

If it is not an accepted breed, then the best course of action is to call the Secretary. If it has not passed any showings at Convention toward becoming a breed, the show committee is not required to take the entry. Most shows will take the entry, they will just request that you bring a standard with you.

The some information about sanction are given below to choose the rabbit.Most of time the two types of sanctions are available.

1. ARBA sanctions - Most of rabbits are available.
2. A National Specialty Club - All types rabbits show

Latest posts

Back