Brazilian Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
Yup, me investigating another breed. Not that I've abandoned the Fluff-Puffs, but I'm curious again.

Who has them? I read the one article on the internet about them, but sent an email to the author and haven't heard back in about a week.

Actually this is more for Runnin, I sent him the link and he's drooling pretty bad over them :)

um, there are people over at homesteading today who have Brazilians. they are mostly I think down south. There was a bunny train of them at one point.

There was A LOT of controvery over whether people were mix breeding them, if I remember correctly, and I believe they shut down the program, but I could be totally wrong. If you search over on HT, I am sure you could find the threads I am talking about. Find some people who own them, too.

I did have some purebred Brazilians, but no longer have them. My interest was solely to cross into my mixed breeding program. I have most of my rabbits are 1/4 or 3/16 Brazilians. What we found was that, for some reason, Brazilians can take the heat, but couldn't take heat and high humidity both. I lost two myself, one with an entire litter.

Trinity Oaks still has some I think. The other people one might find over at HT, there seemed to be some dispute between the founder of the group and the secretary/Treasure (whom was also the other person in the Midwest that had them) that her's had been accidentally bred by some non Brazilians. I do not know the truth of this one way or the other. There was someone in Kansas that was also going to get some, I don't know how that worked out. You best possibility would be over at Homesteading Today. Kathleen Blair, the lady that imported them years ago, most likely still has some, but she lives at the western edge of Arizona.

tomcatrabbitry":18vmx2s3 said:
I got in touch with Kathleen, but if they don't handle humidity well I think that they'd be pretty miserable in Michigan, am I right?

It doesn't seem to be a problem unless there is high temperature plus humidity. We can't explain it, surely there was both in Brazil, but these rabbits have been inbreed for 30 years in a hot dry climate. The rabbits we lost were when the temp was close to 100 and the humidity was over 90%. While our other rabbits were under obvious heat stress, we did not have any mortality with them. These kinds of conditions happen here a few days each year, so any rabbit that can't handle such conditions occasionally is not much of a fit here. I doubt if you got both conditions up there. If I truly wanted to breed Brazilians, I would out-cross them one generation, then start breeding them back to a high percent. I almost have to think that it is the extensive inbreeding that is causing the problem.

We actually do get that, but it's only around the first couple of weeks of August (county fair week, figures). They sound neat, but I don't know...it sure sounds like it'd be taking on quite a project!

It depends on WHERE those rabbits came from in Brazil.. The country has quite a range of climate and rarely gets above 80-90 degrees anywhere. The Amazon region has the notorious humidity, while most of the population zones are in temperate areas cooled by either altitude, sea winds or polar fronts. remember the south of Brazil is in a temperate zone

I have researched the Zills and they are so imbred that I don't have any intrest in them. They came from a trio that to add new blood the lady that brought them into the US added allot of Rex blood. The ones out there are really inbred, and unless new blood can be imported, they really are not worth the effort. There are not enough breeding groups to even out source.

DevonW":riem7xpa said:
Gosh I read this and the first thing my mind went to was the err Brazilian Wax.

Devon, that is exactly what I thought :lol: ....what? rabbits with "bare buns"? :p

Latest posts

Back