Brand new Babies, should i move them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck Survivalist

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I got new babies, looks like yesterday or this morning.

I wasn't expecting them so I didn't turn their hide box upside down into a nest box. My wife told me she grunted at her today when she went for pets and feed them, so when I went to feed them I saw fur, I thought it was a false litter so stuck my hand in and I felt babies, they're warm, I didn't feel any cold ones

Should I carefully take the box off of them and set them within the nest box or just leave them as be?

20231219_183631.jpg

Yes, I'd turn the box over and put the nest inside. They might be just fine the way they are, but when they're really young, kits can have a hard time finding their way back if they wander out. It's a lot easier to check on the bunnies without destroying the nest with the box upright, too.
You're really blessed with a doe who knew what she needed to do (and did it!).

Had a doe make a nest just in front of the box, transferred the kits into the box and doe was fine with the relocation. Other doe started one beside the box about a week before duedate, so i removed that and moved the box so back half was that spot. She made her nest in it textbook.

With a wire floor i would want more protection between kits and something curious then a bit of pulled fur. Your doe picked the safest place she had, but yes turning the box over helps.
Rabbits that are used to people and hands in their cages won't panick to the point of abandoning their kits, although it may have them defensive.

Last edited:
Back