BRAND NEW babies-need colostrum replacement!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoftPawsRabbitry

Reaction score
My doe had a VERY unexpected litter and the babies separated from her via rolling and crawling through cage bars. Got them warmed up but she won't take them, didnt nest and won't now, what can I feed them that works as colostrum replacement? Need to know ASAP please!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_124416319_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220222_124416319_HDR.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
Some also mention using a probiotic for the kits' guts. I have used the Wombaroo Bunny formula from All Things Bunnies with success for several day old kits but not for such young ones.

Are you certain you can't put them in a nest with some fur to see if she will feed them later? She may need to get her milk in still and won't feed them right away.

Some also mention using a probiotic for the kits' guts. I have used the Wombaroo Bunny formula from All Things Bunnies with success for several day old kits but not for such young ones.
I've raised older bunnies, I actually managed to rehabilitate 3 Cottontails the pigs dug up 2 years ago, and have had orphaned 2 week olds haha but yeah this is a new one! TYSM for the help!!!

Are you certain you can't put them in a nest with some fur to see if she will feed them later? She may need to get her milk in still and won't feed them right away.
I'll try again later but she hopped in thumped on them and dug them to the front of the box pretty roughly so I'm afraid of casualties

If you have any other doe with newborns, they could go in with her. Bunnies can't count babies as far as I can tell and they'll feed any that are in their nest. We generally will breed several does at the same time just in case there's a need for a doe to take in a newborn. Good luck, feeding newborns successfully is a tough task.

If you have any other doe with newborns, they could go in with her. Bunnies can't count babies as far as I can tell and they'll feed any that are in their nest. We generally will breed several does at the same time just in case there's a need for a doe to take in a newborn. Good luck, feeding newborns successfully is a tough task.
Don't have any other females pregnant we didn't even know she was with a buck, she is an escape artist but also knows how to get back in her cage

Options:
1. Hold the doe (I've yet to have success with this method)

2. goats milk, egg yolk, honey mixture. about 1 cup milk, 1 egg yolk, and 1 tbsp liquid (melted) honey.
Feed minimally twice a day until 17 days old (three times better), at 17 days no more than twice a day, offer hay and oatmeal from day 10 onwards, pellets from day 14, by day 21 they can be off milk in my experience or onto plate feeding of milk From day 17 you need to make sure they don't gorge on milk. I have found the best success using a pipette.

3. fostering... this is absolutely the best method.

There is a calming way to keep a rabbit still but you may need someone else to help hold the kits. Put one hand on the rabbit's shoulders and slide the other between all 4 feet from behind to the chest. Lift the rabbit gently but quickly so it is on its back the way you'd hold a human baby and dip the head so it is lower than the rest of the rabbit. The moment the head is lowered they will lie calmly in this position for a pretty long time and you can have someone hold the kits on her to nurse. I found this to be extremely helpful for nail trimming.

Back