Bot Fly [warble]

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
it is about Bot Fly time again, so for those new to rabbits , or new to bot fly, a weeping swelling [ sore] on the rabbit may be a bot fly larva, -- if you choose to remove the larva your self, be sure you do not break / rupture it while you are trying to pull it out, as rupturing it while it is still in the rabbit can often result in the rabbits death. [be careful if you take your rabbit to a Vet for larva removal, as most vets do not know this]

quote from mediRabbit
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_disea ... botfly.htm

Treatment

The skin is prepared as for a surgical procedure, with the hair delicately clipped around the infected area, and the skin disinfected with an antiseptic solution. After enlargement of the breathing hole, the larva is carefully removed with the aid of forceps, without damaging or crushing it, in order to prevent skin irritation, and especially in order to prevent the occurrence of a (fatal) anaphylactic reaction. After removal of the larvae the cavity is cleaned with a sterile saline solution, an antiseptic solution, and an insecticide solution.
If necrotic tissue is present, the cavity should be carefully debrided. If an abscess has formed in the cavity, surgical excision of the tissues is necessary, followed by topical and systemic antibiotic therapy.
Aberrant migrated larvae, located deep under the skin or in vital organs, are removed surgically, under anesthesia.
The administration of non-steroidal analgesics (pain medication) is necessary (e.g. meloxicam, carprofen) after the procedure. If the affected rabbit stops eating, it should be hand-fed, in order to avoid fatal hepatic lipidosis.
If a rabbit is heavily infested with botfly larvae, euthanasia should be considered. <br /><br /> -- Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:13 am -- <br /><br /> when I start seeing Bot Fly around my rabbits I wait a week or 2 then give SQ ivermectin, as I hate dealing with Botflies, [and it is very painful to the rabbits]

I had one case of Bot fly here a couple of years ago. When I first saw it, I thought it was a "bunny berry" on my doe's dewlap. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was a huge maggot! :sick:

I carefully photographed the entire removal and treatment procedure for the benefit of the RT community... :angel: ...only to find that one of my kids had removed the memory card from my camera! :evil:

<Sigh!>

Anyway... I wanted to tell everyone that pulling those things out is hard! Like toads do when threatened, they swell their bodies up so they wont fit out of their entry hole.

I just wanted to get the nasty thing out of my rabbit as quickly as possible, but I think a better option would be to apply Vaseline to the end of it or flood the cavity with mineral oil- something to restrict the breathing so it might back out on its own.

After removal, I irrigated the wound tract with Betadine and then filled the cavity with honey (antibacterial) because the doe had a litter with her and I didn't want them ingesting pharmaceutical drugs. Despite that, the wound did get somewhat infected, and I had to express pus from it a couple of times and repeat the honey treatment. It took at least a couple of weeks for the wound to heal completely.

michaels4gardens":g4kd53y5 said:
it is very painful to the rabbits

Hmm... :? Feather didn't react like it was painful- maybe because it was in her dewlap, and not in muscle tissue?

michaels4gardens":g4kd53y5 said:
when I start seeing Bot Fly around my rabbits I wait a week or 2 then give SQ ivermectin

What happens with the maggots that are already embedded? Do you pull them out after they die, or???

I have never seen an adult Bot fly- how big are they? Judging by the size of the maggot, they must be at least 3/4" to an inch long. :x

Hmm... :? Feather didn't react like it was painful- maybe because it was in her dewlap, and not in muscle tissue?
The ones in the neck and back hurt a lot and rabbits will sometimes throw them selves against the cage side or bottom trying to rub it. or roll over on their back and try to rub it against the cage or ground.
[Ivermectin] -What happens with the maggots that are already embedded? Do you pull them out after they die, or???
If I treat a week or two after I see the flies. I never know if they were infected or not as it kills them inside the rabbit when they are very small, and by the time the ivermectin is out of the does system the "fly -time" is over.

Adult Bot Fly looks like a furry over-sized honey bee [sort of] they have more yellow and are fatter looking, -they hover and move back and forth a lot around the cages and rabbits, a pingpong paddle is a good weapon against them.

michaels4gardens":1c6k8910 said:
The ones in the neck and back hurt a lot and rabbits will sometimes throw them selves against the cage side or bottom trying to rub it. or roll over on their back and try to rub it against the cage or ground.

Oh no! Poor things! :cry:

If I treat a week or two after I see the flies. I never know if they were infected or not as it kills them inside the rabbit when they are very small, and by the time the ivermectin is out of the does system the "fly -time" is over.

Ah, okay.

Adult Bot Fly looks like a furry over-sized honey bee [sort of] they have more yellow and are fatter looking, -they hover and move back and forth a lot around the cages and rabbits, a pingpong paddle is a good weapon against them.

I've seen the online images of them. Good to know their behavior.

I'm actually surprised that we don't have more of them here, with all of the free range cattle and other livestock and wildlife. I haven't ever seen any on our horses.

In 15 years, the one on the rabbit is the only one I have seen other than a maggot embedded in a kitten's forehead- but that one was tiny and yellowish (maybe they start out that color?), not grey/brown like the one on the rabbit.

The insect population seems to be cyclical with "blooms" in certain years though, so I will watch for them.

we have a lot [thousands]of deer here as it is the winter migration area, also a lot of wild rabbits, and ground squirrels , so -they are the main host for the bot fly, [and why we have so many some years] it is not unusual to see 5 or 6 hovering around the rabbits some years

We had one get on one of our barn cats when I was a girl. I think I was about 12. I found a sore on the cats neck and I had no idea what it was. I could see something down in the hole and figured it needed to come out. I managed to squeeze it out whole which wasn't at all pleasant for the cat I'm sure. I sprayed wound spray on it after and the cat healed up fine and didn't seem to hold a grudge. It was years later when I finally learned what it was. Dad didn't even know and he's had horses, cows, and other critters all his life. I haven't seen one since, thankfully. I hope I never see another...

alforddm":oub0k0jc said:
I haven't seen one since, thankfully. I hope I never see another...

Amen to that. Hopefully it is a "once in a lifetime experience" for me too! :lol:

I deal with these a lot!

they are not painful for any animal because they release a toxin that numbs the area. But it's a constant open wound and they should be dealt with asap! you can wait for them to just drop out by putting salve on the air hole or pull them out yourself.

I always pull them out and give them to the chickens it's faster and easier this way.

I have delt with them in Northern Nevada on horses and goats. I use petroleum jelly, a really giant glob! I wait for the maggot to surface for air and add an extra amount, just enough that it has to go more than half way before it can get to air. Then using some forceps I pluck it out of the goop. Flush wound and leave open to heal with organic honey in the wound to keep it clean. Best way I have found to deal with the creeps.

I've never heard of these. Anyone know the range they are in? It sound like mostly humid places, but I'm not sure. Is this another thing I have to look out for with my buns?

baefull.wolfbunnies":113yy7v7 said:
Anyone know the range they are in? It sound like mostly humid places

I don't know their range, but my area is about as far from humid as you can get. We do have lots of ground squirrels and some deer here (which Michael mentioned as being hosts), but obviously we don't have a lot of Bot flies here since I have only had the one case (or maybe two if the kitten counts) in all the years I have lived here.

I would imagine that they are not very common in the suburbs or urban areas.

baefull.wolfbunnies":2v083d9o said:
I've never heard of these. Anyone know the range they are in? It sound like mostly humid places, but I'm not sure. Is this another thing I have to look out for with my buns?

they are all over, [there are a few varieties I read] but we had them in Florida, [they drove the tree squirrel's crazy you would see them rolling and scraping them selves on the ground and trees] we had a few in California, and now we have them in Utah.
excerpt from medirabbit below, about the infection being painful [JMHO- I have seen some rabbits in obvious distress]
quote from mediRabbit
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_disea ... botfly.htm
The early stages of myiasis are sub-clinical. With time however, a rabbit becomes depressed, anorectic, dehydrated and weak, loses weight, and may go into shock if the infection is severe. At this stage the infection becomes discernible, with a visible fistula in the skin, accompanied by a lump or a cystic structure. The lesion is painful, and causes great distress to the rabbit.

[picture from medirabbit]

Attachments

• Botf2.jpg
    Botf2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 1,253
We had a boy in my 5th grade class play host to one. :x He refused to go to the doctor and even ran away from home when his mother said she was taking him to have it removed. :p It eventually fell out on it's own and the boy was never really harmed from it. :x Other than being called Bug Boy for the rest of his school days. :p :oops: I do wonder what ever happened to him. :?

wamplercathy":av2rcihe said:
We had a boy in my 5th grade class play host to one. :x He refused to go to the doctor and even ran away from home when his mother said she was taking him to have it removed. :p It eventually fell out on it's own and the boy was never really harmed from it. :x Other than being called Bug Boy for the rest of his school days. :p :oops: I do wonder what ever happened to him. :?

:lol: That is so funny

Back