BOSS as winter supplement

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user8584

Reaction score
We are going to have a pretty good storm by the end of the week, starting to feed BOSS.
how much by weight or age Per day?

We are going to have a pretty good storm by the end of the week, starting to feed BOSS.
how much by weight or age Per day?
I don't generally supplement our rabbits as they do very well all through our harsh Alaskan winter with their standard ration (16% pellets); and BOSS can make them fat really quickly. But when I temporarily supplement particular rabbits - milking does, rabbits recovering from weight loss or who need a "bump" for some other reason - I give them from a 1/2 teaspoon to a tablespoon per day, depending on the size of the rabbit (we have both meat rabbits and dwarf breeds), and if it's one rabbit or a doe with a litter.

Beware that when you suddenly add a significant amount of fat or protein, you can end up forcing a molt, which is probably not what you want to do mid-winter. You might start with just a few seeds and add a couple more each day. But like I said, I've not found it necessary to add anything to the diet of rabbits that are otherwise in good health. If you're worried about them being cold, maybe just provide more shelter, like a box stuffed with straw they can burrow into if they want.

I think that Alaska Satin has the right approach. Also, keep in mind that when you supplement a pellet ration with other food, you will be diluting the mineral and vitamin additives in the pellets. i.e. the rabbits will eat the added seeds, and eat less pellets. It doesn't seem like your rabbits will come out ahead.

The use of the extra energy is just for the unusually cold weather coming in on Thursday, this is NOT something to feed regularly.
I am only interested in them being able to be as comfortable and safe as possible.

I am also adding some BOSS to my rabbits’ diets for this cold snap, and I am probably going to continue it through the winter in small amounts. The does on litters already get a good amount of BOSS mixed with rolled oats since they nurse so heavily, but the bucks and dry does are getting about a tablespoon mixed BOSS and oats each day now. My feed does not have sufficient fat percentages for breeding does, and bucks and dry does here need a bit more than it gives them during the winter. Here we have bouts of -40F, so I watch the rabbits and gauge their amounts based on their condition and weight.

Some breeds/lines of rabbits hold and gain weight much more easily as adults than others, too. It can take some time to learn how your particular ones do.

I don't generally supplement our rabbits as they do very well all through our harsh Alaskan winter with their standard ration (16% pellets); and BOSS can make them fat really quickly. But when I temporarily supplement particular rabbits - milking does, rabbits recovering from weight loss or who need a "bump" for some other reason - I give them from a 1/2 teaspoon to a tablespoon per day, depending on the size of the rabbit (we have both meat rabbits and dwarf breeds), and if it's one rabbit or a doe with a litter.

Beware that when you suddenly add a significant amount of fat or protein, you can end up forcing a molt, which is probably not what you want to do mid-winter. You might start with just a few seeds and add a couple more each day. But like I said, I've not found it necessary to add anything to the diet of rabbits that are otherwise in good health. If you're worried about them being cold, maybe just provide more shelter, like a box stuffed with straw they can burrow into if they want.

Thanks for the reminder about the molting!

Latest posts

Back