Bonding rabbits from both genders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vtoree

Reaction score
Hello there,
Am new here, but have adopted 2 bonded female bunnies (spayed and unspayed) for 2 years now. Recently I rescued a unspayed female rabbit and want them to all get along with each other.

I have fence them side by side for months now, in hopes to bond them but they still haven't.

So my question is, will getting 2 male bunnies help my female rabbit get along well and help stop them from fighting and their need to be territorial. Will the balance of adding males help?

Your males will fight. Unless they are neutered and have lived together their entire lives.

I think it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely your doe's will ever get along. Rabbit bonds are a very tricky. You could always get 1 male for your lone doe. If the bucks can see and smell each other they will spray and be concerned of marking their territory ALL THE TIME. If you have a divider between them, even welded wire, they will attack each other.

Your males will fight. Unless they are neutered and have lived together their entire lives.

I think it's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely your doe's will ever get along. Rabbit bonds are a very tricky. You could always get 1 male for your lone doe. If the bucks can see and smell each other they will spray and be concerned of marking their territory ALL THE TIME. If you have a divider between them, even welded wire, they will attack each other.
The great thing about my situation is that I am getting 2 neutered and bonded male rabbits. The male already get along with each other already, so am just wondering if the present of the male bunnies will easily bring about stability to my female bunnies.

The great thing about my situation is that I am getting 2 neutered and bonded male rabbits. The male already get along with each other already, so am just wondering if the present of the male bunnies will easily bring about stability to my female bunnies.
Oh, okay! Maybe... Try bonding them with the lone doe first, then add the other does in with supervision of course and over time. Then the pair of does will have each other and the bucks and lone doe will have each other.

That actually really amazing advice, I give it a try. Thank you, I will keep you updated with the progress.
Oh, okay! Maybe... Try bonding them with the lone doe first, then add the other does in with supervision of course and over time. Then the pair of does will have each other and the bucks and lone doe will have each other.

Switch them in their spaces so pretty soon they will all smell alike. Bunnies are territorial and scent oriented so if they are swapped back and forth in each other's spaces, pretty soon everywhere will be for the combined herd.

I have little experience with actual bonding, but keep all my rabbits in pairs and groups when there are growouts, but they grow into their position so almost no bonding required. Exception is my buck and his spayed cuddlebun, but that was easy, just put them together - they are free roam house bunnies with access to the front yard.
So this is just my opinion based on what I see there.

Male-male bonds are rather difficult anyway, having one that works can't be taken for granted. I need to keep an eye on my bucklings as they grow up, but well, puberty, intact...
If you introduce a doe to this pair, that could get interesting. Unless they were neutered before puberty - which is quite common over here but seemingly unheard of in the US - they still have male brains, and the notion that they need to drive rivals away like most intact bucks would could be triggered by introducing a doe. Nothing is impossible, but I would be genuinely surprised if it would work.
I'm not too happy with trios, duos work well for me, and when there are more than 3 or 4 rabbits in my experience it gets easier again.

I don't see any of mine being scent orientated, sure, some marking when they get into the space a different group was in just before, it's more that they get to accept an area as common ground, but they can be very territorial in their hutches, which is a good thing if they have enough space. Like, this year I had a 5 week old litter when the other doe had hers, I added another hutch with nestbox to the complex and that was her territory as the 5wo quickly learned. The other two hutches still were commen groung with the growouts and the two other does.
I often read blanket statements about such issues, but the matter is imo more differenciated, it's always "it depends", and for me pretty much impossible to give sound advice on such issues, other than pointing out things that quite likely will cause problems.

Welcome to RabbitTalk. I/we like seeing pictures. Do you have some to share ?
My bunnies names are, Ruby, Misty & Pepper. Ruby is the white Californian rabbit, Misty is a rex/ dwarf rabbit and Pepper is a lionhead/ Dwarf rabbit. Misty & Pepper are my first bunnies who are bonded when I got them, while Ruby is my latest adoption

View attachment Snapchat-1307244254.mp4
Screenshot_20220704-122914_Snapchat.jpgVideoCapture_20220704-122743.jpgVideoCapture_20220704-122715.jpgVideoCapture_20220704-122753.jpg

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20220704-122753.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220704-122753.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20220704-122751.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220704-122751.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2
  • VideoCapture_20220704-122602.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220704-122602.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20220704-122715.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220704-122715.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220704-122916_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-122916_Snapchat.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
My bunnies names are, Ruby, Misty & Pepper. Ruby is the white Californian rabbit, Misty is a rex/ dwarf rabbit and Pepper is a lionhead/ Dwarf rabbit. Misty & Pepper are my first bunnies who are bonded when I got them, while Ruby is my latest adoption
Cute bunnies! Who is your favorite?

Latest posts

Back