Bloated Baby Bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButlerBunnies

Reaction score
We have been hand feeding a litter of baby bunnies when the mom abandoned them after 10 days. We have used a mixture of evaporated milk, molasses and an egg yolk. After one week, several of the bunnies are bloated. One died last night and we are worried about the rest. Right now my wife has given them a little Infant gasX in hopes of relieving the swelling. The bunnies are urinating as evidence of the smell in the hay.

Any suggestions?

i do not recommend using cows milk as rabbits are lactose intolerant, i also don't believe they can have eggs. You can us KMR i have also had good outcomes when using goats milk. As for the bloating, i am not sure what may help because they are so you.

We have been hand feeding a litter of baby bunnies when the mom abandoned them after 10 days. We have used a mixture of evaporated milk, molasses and an egg yolk. After one week, several of the bunnies are bloated. One died last night and we are worried about the rest. Right now my wife has given them a little Infant gasX in hopes of relieving the swelling. The bunnies are urinating as evidence of the smell in the hay.

Any suggestions?
Get them probiotics, gotta add it to the milk around day 10-14 since they don't have mom to get cecotropes from, basillicus (I know I butchered spelling that) is a easy to find probiotic even at dollar general! I just broke the capsule and sprinkled maybe a quarter in the 1/8th cup bottle, I did that with the capsule till it was gone every other day

For the needed gut bacteria you can use a small amount of cecotropes from the mother rabbit and mix it in with their milk.

Simethicone infant gas drops. Half a dropper full into the formula that’s mixed up each day.

A breeder friend uses a mixture of reconstituted powdered goat milk, some pureed vegetable baby food and a sprinkle of probiotics with great success. Good luck!!

Any suggestions?
It's late now I know sorry but it may help in the future, I use 1 part Kitten Milk Replacement, 1 Part water and 1 part heavy whipping cream (or less)
bacteria at day 14ish or a healthy bunnies cecotropes!

Latest posts

Back