Bleeding day after kindling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3309

Reaction score
My mini-lop doe had six healthy kits yesterday afternoon and her baby pen/cage needed to be cleaned.
She voluntary exits her cage into the pet carrier for the parsley to eat inside. I went back to the carrier and noticed her ears were red from what appears to be blood but I did not see any more bleeding or blood after I washed her up. In the carrier it was a small puddle of blood along with urine.

Is this normal for doe's to continue bleed a little after kindling after one full day?
I also noticed that her body quivers a little (similar birthing motion) while she was eating.

The amount of blood associated with kindling varies wildly- some does seem not to bleed at all, while others leave puddles of blood. :? I wouldn't be worried about a bit of bloody discharge for a few days.

When the placentas separate from the uterine wall, they leave a "wound" that needs to heal, so some bleeding after delivery is normal. I am actually surprised that we don't see it more frequently or for a longer duration, since women typically have a discharge (lochia) for 4-6 weeks postpartum.

The quivering makes me wonder if she still has undelivered kits though. Have you tried palpating her? Another possibility is that she is lacking calcium. I would offer her a Tums or crushed oyster shell if you have it.

The spasm/quivering stopped now. Thought she was going to Kindle by pulling fur again..she was adding more layers to her babies

Putting this out here for any worried rabbit owners my sisters rabbit had babies yesterday she only had two which is odd since most times they have five to seven she was bleeding a lot into that night and we kept a close eye on her but we’re worried she was bleeding more than I do on my period and for such small creatures that was concerning so I did some research and found out rabbits have two uterus well the next day I went to talk with my sister and see if her rabbit had stopped or slowed down on the bleeding she did mid convo I heard some squishy noises coming from her and we’ll she had five more babies bringing the total to seven rabbits can have two liters days apart depending on theirselves and circumstance when we initially bred her we left her with the boy for three days so to make a long story short if ur rabbit seems all but normal except for the bleeding depending on how u bred her a little bit of luck and chance she could be having some unicorn babies like ours did she is now completely fine oh and if u are worried any babies are not getting enough nutrients goats milk is the universal milk of the farm and giving them that extra nutrients is always a plus we will be letting mom do most of the work but we will feed them by bottle once a day to ensure they have all ate

I would guess so, since the doe has to clean that off of each kit.

... and if u are worried any babies are not getting enough nutrients goats milk is the universal milk of the farm and giving them that extra nutrients is always a plus we will be letting mom do most of the work but we will feed them by bottle once a day to ensure they have all ate

I consider hand feeding rabbits as a last resort in an emergency, it's too easy to upset that little stomachs and make things worse. Rabbit milk is rather special, very, very rich compared to pure goat milk.
7 is a decent litter, but not a too big one. Most important is that the doe gets fed really well, you can tripple her pellets or free feed, and you can supplement her diet with rolled oats and/or black sunflower seeds (I just sprinkle sunflower oil over the pellets when there is need) if she loses weight or gets skinny.

This is the first time I'm hearing this. Do you mean each baby bunny has it's own amniotic sack within the mom's 1 uterus?
Rabbits don't have two uteruses (uteri?), rather the one uterus has two horns. There is some thought that a doe can get pregnant separately in each horn. Cases like this sound like it might be the situation. I've had this happen as well, which is why I don't re-breed does after about 48 hours of the first mating.
Yes, each kit comes out in its own sac.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back