bladder sludge

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, havent been around in a while. Been very busy with work and life. As of right now, all our rabbits are just living their best life as pets vs breeders. Basically letting them live their lives until they pass. Life has become too busy to breed them and spend the amount of time I like to socialize and start litter training them. So it wouldn't be fair to the babies or to new bunny owners.

We very recently we lost our oldest rabbit, she was a flemish. We noticed she had stopped eating. Wouldnt even eat lettuce or a carrot so we knew it was serious. Closer inspection showed she couldn't pee. It was likw a sludge plug in her. We didnt have the money to have her bladder flushed so we had to say goodbye. Heartbreaking but she was old, especially for a flem.

So now that we saw what happened to her, im noticing sludgy pee from some of our others. Our rabbits are fed a limited amount of pellets (nutrina 16%) along with fresh lettuces when in growing season, we grow it especially for them-this year we had like 6 different lettuces but they have all bolted so no more right now. Plantain we always pick from the back yard and dandelion greens.

We don't have the money to buy 20 lb bags of owbow Timothy rabbit pellets for 40 dollars a bag. So what im wondering is, can I mix Timothy horse pellets with their regular rabbit pellets to lower the calcium?

We always offer fresh hay daily, that being said some barely eat the hay. Go figure, our flem we lost, devoured hay so i never would have thought she would have an issue with sludge.

Would mixing say a 50/50 ratio be ok? Id obviously start mixing it in SLOW. So yeah, any advice would be appreciated.

Hope all is well with everyone :)

Back