Black color question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducklove74

Reaction score
Ok so we got a new batch of babes, and as they have started getting furred out, I noticed one of the little black ones seems a little off. It's really only noticeable when they are side by side...this little guy just doesn't have that shiny black sheen like the other. They are Rex Rabbits which can throw the color density off a bit but I don't think that's it...he is way too dark to be truly dilute but doesn't seem black black like other. He/She is the one on the end..So is he black? What do y'all think? IMG_20211126_102154830.jpg
View attachment VID_20211126_101102134.mp4IMG_20211126_101712059.jpgIMG_20211126_101505416.jpg

In the photos, it looks like a blue. Time will tell.
Yes have to see if he lightens up after molt, right now he is much darker than all the other blues we have had. If there was no other black to compare him to then I would have not noticed he is slightly duller in color...I'm actually thinking he is just not to standard coloring black. But he could molt out to adult coat and get lighter to be blue.

doesn't look blue to me at all, just looks like an "off-black" might be a sepia colour as it matures
Yes, that's exactly what it looks like an off black...was trying to think of way to describe it and you hit the nail on the head. Sepia would be cool! I'm excited to see how this little one matures. There is chocolate in mom's line but starting to wonder if there might be some chinchilla in the mix too...have to continue my test breeding of her as she has thrown a curve at each breeding.

Ok so we got a new batch of babes, and as they have started getting furred out, I noticed one of the little black ones seems a little off. It's really only noticeable when they are side by side...this little guy just doesn't have that shiny black sheen like the other. They are Rex Rabbits which can throw the color density off a bit but I don't think that's it...he is way too dark to be truly dilute but doesn't seem black black like other. He/She is the one on the end..So is he black? What do y'all think?
View attachment 28398
My goodness the babies cleaning each other is SO CUTE!

Back