Black Chestnut Agouti x Siamese Siable = Chin?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prisma

Reaction score
So I decide to go ahead and breed the pair of lions, hope that the doe thru a wider than the buck in the litter to keep and move her on since she isn't pedigreed. I was figuring on seals, siamese sables, and possibly rew. However I ended up with 1 chestnut, 1 chinchilla (looks to be black at the present time), and 2 seal or very dark siamese sables. There were 2 others, both peanuts, that were seal or dark siamese sables as well.

How did a chin and chestnut come from this paring when the SS has nothing but black, SS, blue, and seal behind him? :oops: The doe I have no idea. What would be my best bet in getting more chinchillas? I know there is a possibility of shaded chins, plan to carefully weed them out as needed based on mane/type. :oops:

Black chestnut agouti x Siamese sable = Chin ?
Chestnuts usually produce chestnut kits :shrug:

and if they have a recessive on the C-locus they can produce chinchilla or sable agouti (that look like chinchilla) when crossed to a Siamese sable

Yes seal/sable with an agouti gene equals a type of chin. If the buck has a chin gene he can make regular chins but it's more likely he has sable, himi, or rew and with a doe that has sable you can get sable chins. These cannot be shown and will not get normal color. You cannot get a normal chin from a line of sable chins. The actual chin gene is not there. You will just keep creating chins with the sable gene and possibly more recessive c colors which are himi and rew.

Ah okay. I'm familar with sable chins from lops, but they've always been sp or other color to chin and gotten a sc. I've never had ss to breed in lops before. Ideally I'd found a rew with her width within my budget for the lions, but didn't happen. I'm fine with well typed non-showables in lions, especially since they are only showable right now in torts and rew. If I eventually get rews, that would make me tickled as well.

With telling the difference between a sable chin and a normal chin, is it the same with lops? As they age their ears/nose some times feet/tails get darker points?

I still have trouble telling mine apart - I find it easier to do before their eyes open as the shaded look like shadeds, to me at least :shrug:

I didn't see the difference when young, maybe I would now, but it was obvious when I put my regular chin doe in with my sable chin buck. Oops that's not the same color...

I was going to get a doe from that person but I think I'm gonna go find some nice chestnuts and breed the chin gene in to them rather than try to hunt down good chins that are not sable and this buck carries rew which is just an annoyance to me.

Yep, looks like the same. Sable chins in lops usually have brown tint to their fur with SC, especially around the hindquarters. He still looks like he has shaded points, so hopefully it'll do the same with LH. I know will diffuse the color a bit in areas. Thank you both!

Latest posts

Back