bkn black frosted pearl

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvabunny

Reaction score
I am considering getting a buck who is a bkn black frosted pearl. His pictures look like he's solid white to me, but has dark eyes. His ears are beginning to look "smudgy". Not white, but certainly not colored. I don't know if he's a charlie.

He is out of a broken opal buck, with cream, bkn blue, bkn torte, lynx, black and solid opal on the pedigree.

His dam is a bkn black magpie, possibly carrying a torte gene. That's pretty much all I know on her right now.

I'm wondering if there is any end to the color possibilities I could get with this buck. I know frosted pearl is an agouti gene along the chinchilla line. I currently have a blue, a blue torte, a bkn blk steel and a bkn blue steel does. I am purchasing from convention a bkn opal, charlie bkn orange and bkn cream does.

My expectation is to use him to stud any solid harlequin babies I might produce from the harlequin buck and bkn opal and bkn orange does.

What might some of the colors I could expect from him be, and are there any of the does I mentioned that I really shouldn't breed him to?

By the way, this is an English Lop rabbit, if it makes a difference.

Wish I could help on the coloring, but completely new myself. Sometimes I think I got it down, and then I'm back to square one, wondering if it's right. Genes never work out the way you want them.

I just got a litter from a broken chocolate and a Blue Tort lion head. Got to shaded chocolate and two white. One of the white kits is starting to get half a butterfly. So could be charlies in the midst.

The only way to learn is to experiment and keep good notes on what you do. I've read research papers in genetic planning and there is always something.

Wishing you luck with your English Lops.

Karen

Talk about newbies (me). I had to click on this thread because my silly brain kept wanting to read the subject as "Bacon Black Frosted Pearl"!!!

:D

what in the world is a broken black frosted pearl.

A frosted pearl is a frostie or an ermine... -- basically a whitish looking rabbit, sometimes with light points, sometimes they just have this sheen kind of thing happening with them....
How do you turn that into a broken black rabbit?

those are two separate colours are they not???

she tells me he has the frosted fur, but she can see a slight bkn pattern beginning on his head. he is young yet, so not colored up completely, plus, he is out of 2 bkn rabbits. I had her send me a pic of mama, as I couldn't comprehend a bkn black magpie harlequin either, but sure enough, that's exactly what she was.

For some reason I've just fallen for him. I need another buck like a hole in the head, and she's got a perfectly beautiful solid opal who already has a BOB leg for sale for the same price. Head says go with opal, heart say with the frosted pearl.

Genetics is hard enough to follow, but I seem to lean towards these really messed up variations...sigh....

Do you need an unshowable rabbit?

Do you need a rabbit that might throw something funky into your breeding program?

Think long term on this one. Seriously. I personally wouldn't touch a rabbit that had no solid defined colour to it unless something about the type was absolutely amazing. Funky colours can mess things up ....

I agree. Got a funky castor/red/can't be an amber thing now. Going to freezer camp.

Frosties sometimes get head markings. It has nothing to do with broken. You'd need to see some pure white amongst the off white grey on the body to be sure and especially the feet. Broken rabbits nearly always have white feet and sometimes only white feet.

Two of his littermates are bkn blue frosted pearls. The way I understand it is that any solid colored rabbit can be a broken if white is added. He is showable, his siblings have been shown in the broken class, she just didn't need to keep 3 brothers. She thinks he is more black than blue colored. I doubt there would be enough color to decide whether his feet were white, like I said, from his pic, he looks solid white to me.

Anyway, my brain has won out, and I have emailed her to let her know that I have decided against him. He was to be used for the funky in my barn anyway - the harly/tri lines. I decided I probably wasn't going to keep any of the harly babies anyway - they aren't showable, and to be honest, just not my favorite color, and only useful to me to produce tri's.

I will be picking up a charlie marked bkn orange doe from another breeder. She is very, very lightly marked, and I'm hoping will bring out the tri's from my harly buck. If not, I expect she will cross very well with the gc buck I am getting from the same breeder.

Darn head, over rode the heart again....

A broken magpie would probably show up as a broken black, but I am thinking it has a funky face markings right? Frosty is a non extension agouti with chin.. whether its black or dilute(blue) would depend on the parents and what they are or carry. I would keep tort away from red/ orange as you will get torted tris and reds/oranges.They are incompletely dominant and can coexist on the same rabbit. It all depends on if torted reds/tris/harlequins are accepted in your breed.They only reason to get a frosty is if you want frosties... lol If you want harlequins/red/tris then you would be working against that with the chin gene. I think you made the right decision! :)

Back