Bigger buck than a doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Hey, is it extremely important to have a male bigger than the female when you breed? I know you should never breed a Flemish buck to a ND doe of course! :x
But would it be ok to breed two rabbits, about the same size, or the buck like .3 pounds bigger? Say you had a HL doe that weighs 3 lbs and a buck that weighs, say 3.5....would that be a problem?

I've heard in rabbits you can breed the extremes a bit more than, say, a goat, due to the kits being so undeveloped when they come out so the size differences aren't as extreme.

But yeah, .5 lb is no issue. My buck is a 1lb bigger than my doe,

:yeahthat: however, for the dwarf breeds that are more prone to birthing difficulties it is recommended to breed a small dwarf buck to false dwarf does to reduce the chance of problems and avoid getting "peanut" kits

:yeahthat: however, for the dwarf breeds that are more prone to birthing difficulties it is recommended to breed a small dwarf buck to false dwarf does to reduce the chance of problems and avoid getting "peanut" kits

So what do you mean by false doe? Like not a purebred ND doe? :oops:

So what do you mean by false doe? Like not a purebred ND doe?
No, a false dwarf is a purebred Netherland dwarf that did not inherit the dwarf gene and they tend to be larger and not as cobby as true dwarf Netherlands and should have an easier time giving birth.

Latest posts

Back