Big buck, small doe. Should I be worried?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Should I do a couple of practice breedings with a smaller buck and my new 4 month old does (when they settle in for eight weeks or so) or can I put a large buck to a smaller doe without undue worry?

Personally, I would do a smaller buck first. But also I wouldnt breed a doe till 6 months depending on the breed. What breed (s) are they?

Cindi Davis":6667yldm said:
Personally, I would do a smaller buck first. But also I wouldnt breed a doe till 6 months depending on the breed. What breed (s) are they?

Mini Rex. They are 4 months old right now so I am going to let them settle in for a month or two before giving it a try.

I do have a rex buck and a mongrel buck that I could try and that would be a nice way to see if the rex buck has any go in his went. Its in doubt at the moment. :roll:

whats the mongrel weigh ? because Mini Rex doe's should weigh no more then 4.8 lbs
if it were the other way around nooooo problem. Maybe even a Sr proven doe but 1st timers , again as I said " Personally I wouldnt do a bigger buck. Good Idea to look at the size differences in the doe's and buck

Cindi Davis":61c0z2c2 said:
whats the mongrel weigh ? because Mini Rex doe's should weigh no more then 4.8 lbs
if it were the other way around nooooo problem. Maybe even a Sr proven doe but 1st timers , again as I said " Personally I wouldnt do a bigger buck. Good Idea to look at the size differences in the doe's and buck

Bowler is about 5 pounds so my rex buck probably outweighs him by a pound.

That's the one thing I read over and over regarding big bucks and small does. Could not be a pretty outcome. When researching dwarf breeds, I was told a good solution was to bet a "Big Ugly" as a doe. Better way to stop peanuts, but also a lot better as a brood doe. My doe is about the same size as my buck so I think I'll be safe that way.

Karen

Cindi Davis":1ulo1uvo said:
Karen, I would think so too but when it comes to a Mini doe to a Standard buck? Im hesitant

Definitely a big difference in weight and size between Mini Rex and Standard Rex. I can understand your hesitation. I've read more on dwarf breeds only. Big uglies in the dwarf breeds are only a 1 or 2 pounds larger than the dwarf.

Karen

I'd be hesitant too, especially since I just lost my best mini doe kindling a litter sired by a mini buck. I'd want to see if she can kindle a litter from a buck the same size before I'd breed her to a Standard Rex. A sr Rex buck should weigh 7 1/2lbs. None of my minis weight more than 4lbs. 2-3ls is a big difference in that case. If all goes well the first time around, then perhaps.

Latest posts

Back