Best Small Meat Rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
After having rabbits for half a year now, I've realized many a things, but one of which is sort of sad. My joint issues do not allow me to safely hold a rabbit much over 8 lb; therefore, I had to get out of American Sables.

On the other hand, while I'm sad to be out of my lovely ruby-eyed darlings, I still would like to have a stable meat source for the home eventually, so I'm planning out a new way of getting it. I know my life situation may change soon, as I'm hoping to leave where I am now in the city to move into a rural area, which means I might attempt something like chickens or hair sheep at any given time, but this does not mean I don't think rabbit meat will be delicious and nutritious, so I might as well consider an alternative to the larger meat breeds.

I hear that Florida Whites and Dutch are both good options, but I'm also wondering about other smaller breeds, like Havana, Lilac, Silver, Standard Chinchilla, and Thrianta. (I have seen all but Havana near where I am at!) I know all rabbits are edible, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of the breeds and which breed each person would suggest as a meat rabbit, minimal experience or no. I can imagine Florida White would be the winner and I'd probably try to involve them, but I do so love colored pelts.

So, thoughts, great people of RT? :popcorn:

Unrelated Note: Why oh why is there a twelve hole cage for $150 on Craigslist right now? -flails- I need monies yesterday. XD If anyone is in AL, please buy that so I don't have to look at it anymore.

We have Lilacs and, although they are fairly solid, if you are looking for the best meat option, Florida White would beat them. They are specifically designed to be a great meat rabbit for the weight. Florida White would most likely be your best choice and also your best selection to choose from in your area as they are fairly common.

Standard chins are good. Their entire purpose was meat and pelt at one time. Surprisingly for their size mini rex make pretty good meat rabbits. They have a nice meat to bone ratio and I used when mixing my meat mutts. I came out with some really nice mid sized meat rabbits from mini rex x creme d'argent or champagne d'argent then added in some checkered giant x nz does to up the size and litter size a little again.

Absolutely loved this chocolate mini rex x creme d'argent buck and used him for several years on my crosses
DSCN1147.jpg

DSCN1146.jpg

I don't have any personal experience with the small breeds you mentioned, but I think crossing FWs to Mini Rex would be fun for meat mutts. You could get all kinds of colors, and broken patterns (my favorite!) too.

You might want to keep a purebred line so you can sell pedigreed stock as well.

I do have a little fun project myself, working on a maned Rex furred rabbit- a cross between Lionheads and standard Rex. My starter Craigslist Lionheads weighed over 5lbs, so were likely crosses themselves, but they are MEATY rabbits. :dinner:

I have florida whites so ill give alil input on them as they really are the ideal choice for a small meat breed. In my experience they are very calm rabbits which do pack alot of meat on the small frame. They have slightly smaller litters 5-6 seems like the upper end. Many of them have been bred for show since they are smaller and easier to handle than NZW or Calis so I believe it is worth the extra effort to find a meat breeder rather than a show breeder. My original stock is show stock and they have underperformed as far as breeding and mothering is concerned and the winning notions on their pedigrees dont feed the family. Mine have alot more meat on them compared to Mini rex or the local Dutch which are very disappointing from a meat perspective and I really think I would be going backwards if I tried breeding either of those breeds into them unless I found a exceptional individual from one of those breeds.

Huh. So the common consensus so far is Florida White or meat mutts with Florida White base. Obvious, I guess. XD

Also, hmm. I had considered mixing Mini Rex in with another breed, but my buck is very tiny, about 3.6 lb., so I dunno if he'd do too well breeding a larger doe. My Mini Rex are excellent little bricks, though, especially my herd buck. Maybe I'll get a false dwarf in a litter!

I suppose I could always get a trio of Florida Whites, but, if I decided to be more creative, what sort of does and bucks would you put into a smaller meat mutt breeding program, if you wanted docile and meaty animals in a variety of colors, no preference on much else? I bet I could get a single- or no-maned Lionhead mix doe or two off of Craigslist and maybe a Florida White buck from the local FW breeder; I presume that might be a good start!

I've been pretty happy with lilac crosses for meat. They take a bit longer to grow then my silver fox, but the dress out is excellent, wide backstraps, meaty thighs. The lines I was using had huge litters. 9-12
Pound for pound the Florida white is probably still your best bet for just meat, from what I've read.

Dutches these days can be hit or miss. We have one doe that ways a hefty 5.5 lbs and her kits, regardless of the sire, hit 3 lb at about 7 wks. The only one I've been able to get into the freezer was a little over 4lbs live weight and dressed out at almost 3 lbs!

Our Havanas grow at about the same rate, come in lots of fun colors, and taste good too...but I really like the Dutches dispositions better :)

Huh. Maybe Florida White with Lilac, then? Hmmm. Would be good, because then I can get a wide range of colors, hopefully, since lilac is so recessive. May have to try that cross. That'd be very neat!

I like what I have seen with the Florida Whites, and they would be nice for crossing with the other breeds... might look at getting a non-related buck and doe FW and then some does from other breeds you are interested in to cross with.

Yes. Sounds very fun. Now to begin plotting the continued takeover of animals in my life. Decisions, decisions. Definitely unrelated FW pair, but what for the doe? What colored pelts would I like to work with? Hmmm. Guess I'll see the history of the Florida White breed to see what they might carry! And a Lilac as a cross would be good, still, I'd think. So recessive.<br /><br />__________ Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 pm __________<br /><br />Of course, I just think of adding in a Silver and getting silver pelts and start making high-pitched noises. Mind you, if I crossed in a Mini Rex the adult pelts eventually used would shed less. Decisions, decisions.

I have mutts I raise for meat. Yeah they are smaller. While most "meat" rabbits are 5 pounds by 8-10 weeks mine are 2-4 pounds.

They ARE smaller. They eat less though. They are a perfect size for my family of three for dinner.

I think my largest rabbit weighs 9 pounds. That's Honey my Champagne, second would be my buck Ceasar who goes between 7-9 pounds depending on season.

My smallest doe that gives me the MOST edible babies weighs 5.5 pounds. I breed her to my large buck and get 2-3 pound babies at 14 weeks on forage only, no pellets. Pellets would make the weights better.

Back