Best nesting box for summer??? (1st timer)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tepes

Reaction score
I have 2 questions on pregnant does/kindling.
We have one doe that was mounted 2 days ago. We are both first timers if she is pregnant (only 1 or 2 fall offs). (I also grabbed her weight today to try to see if she gains weight in the next couple of weeks.)
1. She loves pets and snuggles, but absolutely fights when it’s time to pick her up. She is in a standard size (rural king) cage now but I have a much larger one I had bought for the purpose of kits. It has plenty of room for a nesting box and for her to have some room as they get more mobile. Her current cage really doesn’t. This cage is on the floor of our screened porch, so I can open the door and she can hop out. I thought that would be safer/easier when pregnant. When should I move her without causing stress? Wait a couple weeks to see if she gains weight or pulls fur? I’m also going to put down DE around it for black ants.
2. I’m worried the metal nesting boxes available in the stores will be much too hot in the summer and saw some plans to build a box out of wood, but there wasn’t a lip to keep the kits in. What do you all recommend for summer kits?
Thank you!
PS: This is the cage in question for nesting and the two types of wire I have for the sides for baby saving wire.

Attachments

• IMG_9770.jpeg
    IMG_9770.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
building a wood nest box is easy. It's basically a box 2 inches bigger than the doe. Adding a baby catcher to the front is just a matter of adding a bit of angled wood. But in the summer you need to worry less about babies getting out as the warm weather will keep them warm enough. my thoughts on nestboxes: https://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog/best-nestbox-design

building a wood nest box is easy. It's basically a box 2 inches bigger than the doe. Adding a baby catcher to the front is just a matter of adding a bit of angled wood. But in the summer you need to worry less about babies getting out as the warm weather will keep them warm enough. my thoughts on nestboxes: https://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog/best-nestbox-design
Thank you!
The cage came with the urine guards (sloped at the bottom). Will that work in place of the baby saver wire (I would still need something for the door)?

Latest posts

Back