Best Litter For Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerordr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here! Just wondering what everyone uses for litter for their buns? We’ve been using Natural Softwood from Petco since we brought Rory home but today we noticed she was trying to nibble at her litter & were concerned she may be actually eating it. I have a ferret what do you think about using ferret litters for buns? Is this natural? & what other options are recommended?

I used straw for "deep bedding" in the winter, for the solid bottom cages I had back then,
They ate a lot of it with no problems.
I know people who have used "flake" pine shavings, from Tractor supply for years..
They said, they had no ill effects from rabbits nibbling on it.
I would reccomend providing grass hay, or some willow or apple wood, for additional long stem fiber.
Rabbits short of fiber will chew anything they can..
Rabbit pellets are low in fiber..

Pine pellets are what I would recommend if you just have one or two rabbits. Super absorbent, and much cheaper than anything you'd find in feed stores. They sell it for stall bedding at most feed stores (including tractor supply), it's like $5 for a large bag of it.

horse-pellet-bedding-as-pine-pellet-cat-litter-scaled.jpg

Back