Batten down the hutches!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owlsfriend

Reaction score
Last night, around midnight, my phone rang....and rang.....and rang. Always hanging up before the 4th ring, so I knew it was my husband.....it was May 31st, end of the month....if he was calling to remind me to pay my seatbelt ticket I was going to divorce him. Really. But he didn't quit, so I got up to unexpected news.

He works at the Federal Aviation A-something, FAA, on computers, so the air traffic controllers have something to look at....and a big storm was coming. We'd had a long steady rain most of the day, and our mid-rehab rabbit shed hadn't fared so well. The rabbits were damp, but not wet, and their waste bins had standing water in them...So, I went out at midnight, warm breezes greeted me, to wrestle wet tarps and zip ties in the dark. Well, it wasn't completely dark. There was a light on the porch and one inside the rabbit shed, but not shining where I was working. I was a muddy mess, and out of zip ties, but the rabbits fared well and the tarps held. Now, all I have to do is cut my way in--to the door so I can feed them, and get to work on the roof....(Oh, lord, don't let the rain come down, my tarp's got a dip in it and buns might drown...) :singinrain: :rainprf:

and my hubby pretends not to like my bunnies....yeah, he can play that way. I still love the guy. Owl

Aarrgh! I feel your pain. We came home one night at 11:00 p.m. to howling winds of about 50mph, and had to redo the tarps on my growout pens. Freezing hands and zip ties are not a good combo! :x

I'm glad you got them all secured, and your hubs was sweet to call you. :)

He really is a darling man--truth to tell. He just doesn't understand my attraction to rabbits. That's okay. He doesn't have to like them, just don't get in my way while I like them and we will get along fine. (I keep telling him he's better off than the husbands of women my age who want a new baby to raise.....)

HA... I live in a hole, my friend who has a far lives in a hole, they are VERY different (other than they are weather holes)
I get wind when there's NO wind elsewhere, when it's blowing all around me, I see the tips of trees going sideways, with no ground wind

She gets HOT (in the summer, and 20* colder in the winter)
she has CONSTANT wind, when she get s a 'blow' that means gusts OVER 100mps...
I lost the roof off of my rabbitry, I was actually kinda proud, it 80+mph winds to pop the fiberglass off, lost 2 sheets...

out at her house, I wouldn't even consider building with fiberglass, this is a place that takes the heavy Costco tarp shelters/garages and flys them like kites...

OH, and her western fence is a privacy fence, cause EVERYTHING not anchored down... ends up there
People have wondered why you have to use Hurricane ties and seismic ties in AK... well cause you need them, the building code is kinda a hybrid of FL and CA with MUCH better insulation...

Back