Bad luck? Or disease?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of the recent bad luck I've had in my barn. Anyone have some insight to share?

So, I *had* a herd sire (Bernie) who was a lynx mutt. I have a STELLAR doe, Daisy, who is beyond great. They produced a single litter together last winter. I kept two very promising bucks and two promising does. One lynx and one opal of each sex. Bernie had to go to freezer camp because of a foot injury that never properly healed - he wasn't able to breed anymore. :( It was a shame, I was very sad because he was such a nice rabbit in every other way. So... I wanted to put their offspring to the test and see what would come out of it.

But... two days after Bernie went to camp, we lost his lynx son. He was fine, then decided to quit eating and was gone in about 48 hours. No signs of illness, no injuries, no snot, no runny poops - nothing. Couldn't do a necropsy because we had too much activity around the property that day.

So I bred the opal buck to both the lynx and opal does.

Just under 3 weeks later, the buck starts acting as if his front paw hurts and his energy level declines. He's never been a voracious eater, but he was really only eating maybe a quarter of his pellets and lots of hay for a while. He lost a LOT of weight, which wasn't noticeable until I put my hands on him out of concern for his paw. (he's got nice fluffy fur that really hides his weight loss.) I start supplementing him with some BOSS, a little oats, better pellets and more flower tops (clover mostly). The same day I discover him in that condition, opal doe miscarries seven kits. :( She's acting just fine, but I'm bummed about the loss.

Yesterday was the due date. Lynx doe doesn't seem pregnant. So no kits.

Now, while the buck's appetite has improved a little bit, he has kind of gone lame in the hindquarters. I've been hesitant to pick him up much because I don't want to stress him out, but I did pick him up this evening and it seems there is hardly any muscle left in his hind legs. His legs are weak and shaky. He *can* get around, but he's kind of clumsy about it. When he sits to nibble on his food, he rolls back farther on his rump than a rabbit should, and often stretches his hind feet forward. It's a very awkward position that I've only seen a doe take when she had a serious leg injury. He's eating, drinking, pooping. I'm probably going to put him down on Friday (that's just the soonest I could process him, unfortunately.) I gave his gut a good massage, but it doesn't feel gassy or bloated at all. In fact, it just feels kind of empty compared to the other rabbits. I see him eat, so he's not completely off food. I just don't know why he's going lame.

This is no good for my line. Without him, I've no bucks left. Whatever is wrong with him, I really hope isn't contagious, because I LOVE all three of my does. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing him to go lame without any other obvious symptoms? Does it seem like there is a link to his declining health after his brother's death? They were cage-mates. If there's a probable link, is it likely that the opal doe lost her kits due to whatever they have? Am I grasping at straws in what is probably just a series of unfortunate events?

wow...
not sounding good is it.

You haven't mentioned if you saw something wrong with his feet...just that he was acting like they hurt.

Did you check for thorns or injury to them?

couple of thoughts...
does your cage flooring have the 1/2 inch mesh side of the wire up? [assuming you have 1/2" x 1 inch flooring]
Is there any other flooring issue that would cause injury, or a rabbit to try to shift weight back to ease pressure on the feet?
Hind end shaking,loss of appetite, and clumsiness could be EC.
Ec manifests in a variety of ways, - head tilt or circling being the most common, but front leg weakness, or mystery lameness is also common. Rear end weakness, list, clumsiness, is the next most common symptom of ec after head tilt. Sometimes rabbits rock backwards and sit on their butt, to ease the pressure on the back, - another possible symptom of EC.

Coccidiosis can also manifest in the way you describe, general loss of appetite, weight loss, and general poor health, loss of muscle mass in the back end can cause the symptoms you describe.
Over the years I have treated a lot of rabbits for a lot of things-- when i have any mystery illness, I first look at feed, trying to find old feed, moldy feed, or something they may have eaten that was toxic
if it is not feed, I next suspect coccidiosis, as it is the next most common issue in rabbits. After that I would look at EC if any symptoms of EC are present.
I personally believe that both EC and coccidiosis can be completely cured by feeding garlic chives, garlic tops, or onion tops. [a small handful 1x/day, for a couple of weeks]
JMHO,
Michael

No sign of injury.

His cage is one of those industrial grade stainless steel kennels with the super heavy duty diamond shaped grate. It doesn't flex, but it also has no rough edges. It's sturdy enough for me to sit on. But two days ago I moved him to a dog crate with a tray so he could have a totally flat surface just in case.

I'm leaning towards E. Cuniculi because the rest of the rabbits in the barn are fine and they all get the same food... and honestly, I don't practice strict hygiene, so sometimes dishes get swapped. If it was cocci, I'd suspect the other rabbits would have troubling symptoms. Not saying it can't be cocci... but without a clear link, I'm hesitant to try to medicate the herd or anything like that.

Looking for some kind of connection...
Kits are usually a lot more susceptible to coccidiosis than adults.
Bacterial illnesses, feed contamination, and mold toxins also tend to affect kits more strongly.

The repeated foot/leg injuries... Were both bucks housed on the same style of flooring?

The appearance of rapid loss of muscle tone is often the result of dehydration.
You feed a homemade diet of hay pellets, greens and supplements, right?
Is it possible for there to be a nutrient or mineral deficiency? I know you mentioned that they had salt and minerals available, but, perhaps they are not using it enough?

Back