Back into the Meat Buns!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoggyAcre

Reaction score
Well after many years of being away from Meat rabbits my wait is finally over.
Nine months ago my Wife and I decided that we wanted meat rabbits. Well after seeing what the prices were in our area $30-$40 each we kept looking fact is I refused to pay that much for a rabbit.
Wednesday of last week our looking came to a end. Found a friend from my childhood and school who had some Satins, was able to get them for $15 each. Whipped up a hutch for them in two days, yesterday a Buddy text me and told me he had a Cali buck for $15, didn’t want him but due to the current prices in our area I took him. Our Daughter and I made a hutch for him yesterday, so now we are three rabbits heavy for $45.
We ar super excited to join this group and share our experiences.

Considering it's breed stock, even if you paid $45 per bun to start with, they'd multiply and you could sell a few to pay for the original bun.

Are these just going to be meat buns for yourself or will you be selling some? If you get pedigreed stock to start with, you can ask more for the offspring if you can sell them as purebred pedigreed breeding stock instead of dinners. But, if they're for your own dinners, then that's different.

How much does a ready to eat meat bun sell for? Would you be able to get more breeding stock by buying a meat bun for eating and offer to save the seller the effort of getting it ready to eat?

I knew someone once that had the most amazing herd of New Zealand's of all colors you could ever imagine. Ultra fantastic rabbits and he made a good supplemental income selling the kits for just $10 each.

When the going rate was $50! :shock:

He said that at his price ALL his kits sold between 5-6 weeks of age so his cost to profit, very good.

I used to get $50 each for my kits but they sold best at about 5-6 MOTHS so, I guess, we were making about the same amount of profit. :lol:

Well DONE getting your stock at the price you wanted to pay, that is a fantastic feeling!

Latest posts

Back