Baby New Zealand/Californian Size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We had a rabbit that had 5 babies but 4 died due to she had them on the cage wire rather then on the hay in the nesting box. They looked like they had been all bite and bloody. Then later the next day we find one more we missed still alive but not in the nest under some hay. I was afraid to put it back with her so I put it with a mother who had some that was about 3 weeks old in hopes she would nurse it. It has made it now to little over 4 weeks. It's eyes are open and it hops around and lays all over the now way bigger rabbits. I saw two days ago the female doe was eating sitting up and it went under her and laid down and was tring to nurse as she would move all around. So not sure if she is dried up or not. We have been giving him daily a formula of CATMX formula with Colostrum Supplement and heavy whipping cream. But we are worried the poor little looks like a Dwarf rabbit. His weight at little over 4 weeks is 3.5 ounces where as the other rabbits at little over 7 wks are 12.8 ounces. So not sure what to do at this time.

Attachments

• 20230523_175800.jpg
    20230523_175800.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230523_175743.jpg
    20230523_175743.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230523_175940.jpg
    20230523_175940.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
at four weeks he's acting like a normal four week old. "Let's see if we can steal a bit of milk from mom" mom simply does the normal thing of moving away and basically saying "I'm not a mini-bar thanks". He's little but he's holding his own. The fact that he's alive and growing is proof of that. He's small. The kits are bigger. I'd start removing the biggest of the lot and weaning them and just letting the little one stay in with mom. Just remove one or two a day. At seven weeks they are well old enough to be weaned.

at four weeks he's acting like a normal four week old. "Let's see if we can steal a bit of milk from mom" mom simply does the normal thing of moving away and basically saying "I'm not a mini-bar thanks". He's little but he's holding his own. The fact that he's alive and growing is proof of that. He's small. The kits are bigger. I'd start removing the biggest of the lot and weaning them and just letting the little one stay in with mom. Just remove one or two a day. At seven weeks they are well old enough to be weaned.
Thank you I will try that I noticed tonight too he was in the middle of some feed trying to eat on it with the others. He something to watch and so fast when he hops around. He really has been a miracle to make it this far.

Back