baby cottontail...What do I do?!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljswinford

Reaction score
There is a baby cottontail under a slide at my daycare,in the very back dark corner. I didn't know they were even there until I saw one hop away and go through the fence. Now,there is just one left. It's been there 3 days by itself(no litter mates). Im sure she is scared,due to the loud noises of the kids and climbing all around it. I did witness her chewing on some grass,her nose wiggles and her ears are up. Im assuming around 5 wks old? I have no knowledge on wild rabbits,I have 6 pets,but wild ones-I'm clueless. Id like to help it,if i can. Any tips/info is greatly appreciated! Whatever it needs to survive,I'm willing to do,I just have no clue what to do. Also,its in the 90's here and humidity is high,Im worried she wont make it very long under there.

If its ears are up, it's not under heat stress. Cottontails are well adapted to the heat and will dig if they get too hot. The one thing they can't deal with is captivity.

I've rescued a number of wild baby cottontails, but they need to be on their own after about 3 weeks or they'll stress out and die. If it has fur and is eating grass, it's not a baby. The adults are very small compared to our European domestic bunnies.

If you could drop by the school in the morning or evening when it is cooler, you could try to herd the little guy to the fence so it is out of the yard.

Both good ideas. The best thing you can do is let it alone, and try to keep the children from chasing it. Cottontail rabbits are born with eyes open and ready to leave the nest in just a couple of weeks. If it has made it this far, the only worry are the local cats and dogs.

Latest posts

Back