Babies!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RABBITGIRLFORTHEWIN

Reaction score
I'm waiting on does to Kindle. I'm so excited and nervous. The first doe (aka Queen)is a mix of idk, she is chinchilla coloring. Bred with a Silver Fox buck named black. She has had several litters before so she's a pro. I'm guessing 9-12 kits. She has already pulled some fur I'm not worried about her. She is looking huge! The second doe is a Queen baby. We call her The black doe, lol she doesn't have a name. She is a black doe with little to no silver ticking She feels like she will have 3-6 kits. She pulled fur the other day. She was bred with Black. I think she is going to be a good mom. I am planning for both of these litters to go to the cull pen. I haven't butchered rabbits before what method do you prefer? What is your favorite rabbit recipe? What age do you normally cull at? What are ways you have found work to help the kits grow fast? Rabbits are due the 14th of this month I am so excited!

Oh Congrats! I like to process at 12-13 weeks. I also like to keep my growouts in a tractor so they are grass fed and it saves me a ton of money. I have only used the hopper popper to dispatch. I have no problems with it but you need to make sure it is lower than your waist

I'm waiting on does to Kindle. I'm so excited and nervous. The first doe (aka Queen)is a mix of idk, she is chinchilla coloring. Bred with a Silver Fox buck named black. She has had several litters before so she's a pro. I'm guessing 9-12 kits. She has already pulled some fur I'm not worried about her. She is looking huge! The second doe is a Queen baby. We call her The black doe, lol she doesn't have a name. She is a black doe with little to no silver ticking She feels like she will have 3-6 kits. She pulled fur the other day. She was bred with Black. I think she is going to be a good mom. I am planning for both of these litters to go to the cull pen. I haven't butchered rabbits before what method do you prefer? What is your favorite rabbit recipe? What age do you normally cull at? What are ways you have found work to help the kits grow fast? Rabbits are due the 14th of this month I am so excited!

Queen is due today she has had litters many times. She had two kits on the ground! and didn't show any intrest in them. She has a nest box and had pulled fur in it like 3 days ago. they were cold so I am holding them in my hands and they are warming up now. I was waiting outside watching her, but she hasn't had any more yet. She is a big doe and has a really big belly. I know she has more so I gently felt her belly and it seemed like none of the others were trying to come out. Should I try to hold Queen down and feed the two kits? Is it possible for her to hold the rest in and have them later? Should I take the rest away when she has them? What should I do? I am so confused any help will do. Thank you.

Don't try to force her to feed. She can stop and go while having her litter- especially big litters. So yes, she could hold for hours. Many rabbits don't feed their kits for hours-even up to 24 I've heard as the milk does not always come in right away.
Thanks for your help.

Update. So it was 5:25 when she kindled the rest of her kits she had them in her nest box and pulled lots of fur for her babies. She had 12 in total. She normally has a lot so this is normal for her. But, some of them are tiny. Both mom and kits are doing well. I will try my best to get pics.

We are now waiting on The Black Doe. What should her name be? lol. Her due date is also today so we will see what happens. I want to post updates on how each of the does are doing with their kits(we will see how I will do on this goal. lol) I'm so happy!

Update. Twilight (I named the Black Doe!)had kits! sometime this morning I think. She had seven kits and pulled lots of fur. Now I'm just baby watching... I hope she is going to be a good mom. Lol, I thought she was going to have 5-4, not 7! Lol, looking forward to enjoying some delicious rabbit meat.

Update. Queen has lost 4! I don't think I will be keeping her for another litter. But the 7 left in the litter are growing big(I took one of Queen's babies and put it in with Twilight. It is doing great! She took it in like it was her own.) Twilight is an amazing mom she is always hopping in or peeking in. I'm definitely keeping her for another litter. her kits are doing great!

Update. Queen has lost 4! I don't think I will be keeping her for another litter. But the 7 left in the litter are growing big(I took one of Queen's babies and put it in with Twilight. It is doing great! She took it in like it was her own.) Twilight is an amazing mom she is always hopping in or peeking in. I'm definitely keeping her for another litter. her kits are doing great!
My NZ Chocolate Truffle had 12 also. I fostered 2 out. I lost 1 of the fostered and 1 at the mum's.

I still consider 8 a win. I believe it was Alaskan Satin who stated she culled over 10 or she ended up losing more in the long run. I'm glad all of the others are doing well!

I guess this a good thread. My tan doe who I swore had only just bred yesterday had 10 kits today. 8 were cold but living. I put a kindling box in with pine shavings and Timothy hay. My husky is blowing her coat so she donated the fur...momma didn't pull so much as 1 hair of her own. Now to see if they'll survive. I thought they'd bunch up in the bedding but they aren't so I don't know how they're supposed to warm up. Amazing such a small momma can have so many relatively large babies.

I had no idea she was preggers so I bred her yesterday, 1st time there was the expected buck fall off. Wonder if she'll already be pregnant again. She's not showing much interest in motherhood, hope she improves with age.

I guess this a good thread. My tan doe who I swore had only just bred yesterday had 10 kits today. 8 were cold but living. I put a kindling box in with pine shavings and Timothy hay. My husky is blowing her coat so she donated the fur...momma didn't pull so much as 1 hair of her own. Now to see if they'll survive. I thought they'd bunch up in the bedding but they aren't so I don't know how they're supposed to warm up. Amazing such a small momma can have so many relatively large babies.

I had no idea she was preggers so I bred her yesterday, 1st time there was the expected buck fall off. Wonder if she'll already be pregnant again. She's not showing much interest in motherhood, hope she improves with age.
How are the kits doing? Is the mum showing more interest now? They only visit the nest box once or twice a day generally.

For now the good news is the kits are toasty warm. Mom seems interested in nest box. Seems like a little optimism is in order.
That's good news! I have one rabbit that would jump in her box every time I checked in. I told her"If you were a wild rabbit you would all be dead."⁴ All of my other does are hardly ever seen in the nest box which makes sense to protect the kits from danger. I'm glad to hear your doe found her balance.

One of my two new does in my Suskovich tractor had a litter in one of the nesting boxes. They’re all warm and wiggly and healthy despite some fairly cold weather. The only way I could tell which doe was the mama was by the color of the fur in the nest. You won’t often catch them in the process of feeding. If the babies are good, then they’re being fed.

For now the good news is the kits are toasty warm. Mom seems interested in nest box. Seems like a little optimism is in order.
I had 3 does kindle in January. One had her kits on the wire, and didn't pull any fur until a full day after she kindled. I picked them up off the wire and put them in the nest with a hot water bottle and by the next evening she was finally pulling fur and mothering like a champ - she just needed a minute for her brain and instincts to catch up. All six kits survived and were healthy and vigorous until they went to freezer camp.

I had 3 does kindle in January. One had her kits on the wire, and didn't pull any fur until a full day after she kindled. I picked them up off the wire and put them in the nest with a hot water bottle and by the next evening she was finally pulling fur and mothering like a champ - she just needed a minute for her brain and instincts to catch up. All six kits survived and were healthy and vigorous until they went to freezer camp.
Mine hasn't pulled any fur but she did put them all together in cozy little nest and they appear well fed. There was blood under the cage, I thought she had eaten another one but they're all there so I guess she just passed a little blood cleaning out her uterus. Kits are energetic, seem healthy.. Thank goodness for puppy shedding:)

Back