Avoid this sorry excuse for a man!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just watched the clips and read the main page, none of the links. it shows that who wrote this does not understand basic obedience training. while i consider most of his corrections too hard there were reasons for the corrections. they were not "for no apparent reason.."
swing the pup around was too forceful, the correction was to get the pup back to the side were it was suppose to be.
the dober was suppose to be watch the him the handler, not the cameraman and the correction was called a "pop" which it a very quick yet forceful "pop" of the lead. the amount of force and amount of usage in a training session depends on the size and amount of training the dog has had.and what level of ob the dog is training for. the yelp was of surprise not pain. this one i do not consider too forceful.

the spaniel kick was very uncalled for type of correction same with dog and the ball.

edited spelling

tailwagging":1r1981ms said:
just watched the clips and read the main page, none of the links. it shows that who wrote this does not understand basic obedience training. while i consider most of his corrections too hard there were reasons for the corrections. they were not "for no apparent reason.."
swing the pup around was too forceful, the correction was to get the pup back to the side were it was suppose to be.
the dorber was suppose to be watch the him the handler, not the cameraman and the correction was called a "pop" which it a very quick yet forceful "pop" of the lead. the amount of force and amount of usage in a training session depends on the size and amount of training the dog has had.and what level of ob the dog is training for. the yelp was of surprise not pain. this one i do not conciser too forceful.

the spaniel kick was very uncalled for type of correction same with dog and the ball.
I agree. He seems like someone who read a dog training for dummies book and never really paid attention. He's not metering his force in the corrections and just dominating the dog. Very similar to parents who don't understand the difference between a tap on a child's arm and a slap.

If y'all don't think he was being over the top/cruel, then please stay very far away from my animals. Don't want you to 'slap' my cat and kill it...

I am sorry but I disagree! This guy does not need to be around dogs, let alone training them. I am not a positive only type of training but what this guy did was abuse plain and simple! I have worked with many different trainers, one being a trainer of protection and drug sniffing. I can guarantee he would NEVER EVER train a puppy that way!! That golden pup looked to be only 4 months old, way to young to start such formal obedience work, which doesn't start until at the earliest 6 months old. Yes you can start working on the basics, but you keep the training short and fun with little to no corrections. You can tell all the dogs were stressed and on the verge of shutting down.

BTW, I have the book Dog Training For Dummies, that guy must have read the Kohler Method of Training book. Its full of abusive ways to train your dog. Read part of the book once from our library, stopped when it described in detail how to stop a dog from digging! I took the book back and told them that it needs to be taken off the shelf!!

Secuono":66195b8n said:
If y'all don't think he was being over the top/cruel, then please stay very far away from my animals. Don't want you to 'slap' my cat and kill it...
Who talked about slapping being OK?

Neither me nor tailwagging said what he did was right, just that it isn't out and out abuse. Guy shouldn't be training dogs.

I've watched a lot of trainers over the years- and some use what would be considered harsh corrections- but that was the worst I've seen, those aren't corrections thats just being cruel- based on those videos someone should arrest him and he should not be allowed to have any animals.

Those dog's weren't wagging their tails in happiness, those were wags to appease the angry man. Everytime he moved towards them, they would cower and shy away. Clear sign he's been beating on them constantly. That's cruelty. They shouldn't be living in fear. None of the jerking was justifiable, he paused, waited, then whacked them. Even if it was a proper correction, the timing was far too off for them to make the connection. He's lucky none of those dogs turned on him and ripped him up.

Secuono":1oltvreg said:
Those dog's weren't wagging their tails in happiness, those were wags to appease the angry man. Everytime he moved towards them, they would cower and shy away. Clear sign he's been beating on them constantly. That's cruelty. They shouldn't be living in fear. None of the jerking was justifiable, he paused, waited, then whacked them. Even if it was a proper correction, the timing was far too off for them to make the connection. He's lucky none of those dogs turned on him and ripped him up.

I so agree. I thought the trainer who trained me was harsh, but none of the dogs she worked with showed that kind of body language.

unless you know those dogs personally you can not say that it is a "clear sign" of anything more then a dog wagging it's tail. some dogs are meek and submissive by nature.
wish people would go back and really read what others post before going off half cocked.
no one said that swing a pup was right nor kicking nor hitting either. only that there was a reason for correction.unlike the writer who claimed he did it "for no reason"
I still stand by the dob correction.

btw if a prong is used correctly isn't is abuse.

I said to use the prong collar on him not dogs. I do not, nor would I ever use a prong collar on any dog that I train. He has prong collars on at least 2 of those dogs that i could tell. When you train dogs on a daily basis you can read their body language. I can see the difference between the body language of a shy and submissive dog VS a beaten and abused one.

not with some dogs. some dogs are back roller,urinaters, some won't look you in the eyes, some are shy and meek that have never have been abused.
I rewatched and saw no prong collars. what clip did you see them?

I also didn't see any prong collars, though I am unsure about the white dog, he may of had one on. I also have no problem with using them, if used correctly, in the hands of that guy, would result in injuries to the dogs!

Anyways, a good trainer knows his dogs, and would not treat a sensitive dog that harsh, so even if the spaniel is yelping because he is a soft dog, the trainer would know this and not use such harsh corrections. The dober, yes he corrected him for a reason, but again that was to hard of a correction. The point of the collar pop is to get the dogs attention, not cause pain, like your tapping on the shoulder of someone. Also a good trainer knows when he is pushing the dog to fast/hard. So again even if you don't find the guy abusive (I do) he is still not a good trainer, not one I would ever use!

I agree he was abusive in most of the clips and should not be training.

as for the dob
one good strong correction is worth a thousands nagging corrections. with a dog as big as a dob and can have a drive as some dobs have and the work that many dobs are asked to do you better have a dog that understands that what you ask of it, it should do. now. not when it decides to watch you or listen to you.
I wouldn't want a large,driven dog that i couldn't call off.

I also feel that the owner of these dogs are at blame as well. if you are going to own a dog you need to know how to work/train your dog. not just sent it off for someone else to do the work.

now in all honesty i do at times send my show pup/dog/bitch off to the handler and she trains it but she is also showing it so a working bond needs to be between them.

tailwagging":1er7y6yi said:

as for the dob
one good strong correction is worth a thousands nagging corrections.

So you are saying jerking a dog hard enough to possibly cause damage is okay? Geez, I am never sending my dogs to you. I understand that a strong correction is sometimes valuable, but that was just plain abuse. I don't see why you are defending him.

did i say that i was defending him? no. i said that the correction on the dob was not too forceful for the size and breed.

and yes don't send your dog to me since as a dog owner you need to be the one to handle your own dog. it is called responsible ownership.

but now which would you rather have? a owner who has the protection dog that he can always call off or one that has a driven dog that will only listen when he,the dog, wants too?

We are wandering rather far from the original topic here, folks. This trainer's techniques are documented by the videos and speak for themselves. Let's leave it at that.

tailwagging":e3yinxe6 said:

as for the dob
one good strong correction is worth a thousands nagging corrections. with a dog as big as a dob and can have a drive as some dobs have and the work that many dobs are asked to do you better have a dog that understands that what you ask of it, it should do. now. not when it decides to watch you or listen to you.
I wouldn't want a large,driven dog that i couldn't call off.

I also feel that the owner of these dogs are at blame as well. if you are going to own a dog you need to know how to work/train your dog. not just sent it off for someone else to do the work.

now in all honesty i do at times send my show pup/dog/bitch off to the handler and she trains it but she is also showing it so a working bond needs to be between them.

I do agree with that. People that constantly give little nagging corrections is annoying, and teaches the dog to ignore you. Yes having a large breed dog means you need to have it under control at all times, but I believe that dobe was unfairly corrected. When training you need to work up to distractions, and that dog seemed unsure of the cameraman. Perhaps if he would have allowed the dog to check out the guy/equipment before training the dog wouldn't have reacted to it. Of course if the dog still reacted to it after that then yes I too would have corrected the dog, just not as harshly. I have trained 4 dobes before, and yes they are a large breed, but for the most part they are sensitive and don't require harsh corrections. Please note though none of the dobes I trained had high prey drives, and no one training method works for every dog.

I also cant stand when people send a dog off for training without taking any part of it, that is lazy in my opinion! I do understand though in the case of showing, when you have a handler then yes you do need them to have that bond, but you also have to do training yourself.

ANY of you who think that correction on that Dobe was justified should NEVER be near ANY dog.. Get in the 21st century folks.. that type of training has gone out with the dark ages, in fact in the European Union and places like Germany that is now illegal. That man was well on the way to making that spaniel a fear- aggressive/biter dog NOT an obedient dog.That spaniel was in fact on several of those occasions voicing BEFORE the "so-called correction" even came! The body language of all those dogs was of fear and confusion, the pup at the beginning was totally submissive, not happy.Jerking a dog around does not place the correct behaviour in them as they had no idea what they were even supposed to do..a dog needs to actually learn the behaviour first then LEARN the spoken or hand signal command to that behaviour second. Marking the correct behaviour with POSITVE reinforcement works a lot faster than jerking a dog around until he accidentally may do something right and then ignoring him! This man was CONVICTED as well so defending even a little part of that video is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back