Available breeds- help picking one for meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margali

Reaction score
I went to my first rabbit show today in Terre Haute, In. There were a lot of mini-rex, dutch, havana, satins, english lop, and mini lop. I saw a few thriantas, californias, and new zealands. It was a youth show which might be why the bigger breeds did not have a lot of entries.

Holding the rabbits, I think the english lops and californias are too heavy for me to handle with my messed up shoulders. I really liked the Havanas, Dutch, and Satins I got to handle.

How well do the Havanas, Dutch, and Satins work out for meat breeds?

Thanks for the tips. I loved the broken pattern Havanas I saw and they were soo laid back. Beautiful chocolate and black brokens.

There were exactly 3 families with them so kind of rare atleast at this show. That is a good point to be able to sell some.

As they say "All rabbits are made out of meat" so you just have to pick the one that works for your situation.

I hope you get a copy of the Standard Of Perfection so you can raise rabbits that can be sold to 4Hers for rabbit shows. The SOP will have all the weight ranges and color requirements for each breed. It's very sad to sell a kid a rabbit that gets disqualified for wrong color fur or eyes in a show.

The Satin rabbit adult female weight range (9-11 lbs) is almost as much as a New Zealand (10-12 lbs) so if weight is a consideration, than Satin is still a good sized meat rabbit.

Havana adult (bucks/does) weight range is 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 lbs. Smaller than a Satin, can be shown in Black, Blue, and Chocolate colors.

Dutch adult (bucks/does) weight range is 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 lbs. Smaller and very compact bodies, they have a nice dress out percentage for their size. They can show in Black, Blue, Chocolate, Gray, Steel, and Tortoiseshell. The Dutch marking requirements can be problematic for a beginner. You can have entire litters that are not good for show because of markings that would be disqualified in show (called mis-marks).

Avoiding disqualification is the first goal for any show breeder. If we can stay on the table, we have a shot at the blue ribbon. If we get disqualified, we are out of the running. So first, you have to stay on the table.

So out of the three breeds you named I would choose the Havana in a solid color, not broken pattern. for someone just starting out. There are rules for the broken pattern and not all rabbits will conform to the rules.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

Satins are great meat rabbits, and I've heard from everyone that Dutch are too.

I had Havanas for awhile (one of many breeds) and they are great, solid little meat rabbits. They're easy to breed, easy to raise, and aren't particularily hard to judge when you're picking your keepers. They are very similar to a Dutch in body size/shape, but a good one will be a pretty good deal thicker.

Just a couple random thoughts if you like smaller, the Rex has really beautiful fur, so it's a dream to run your hands over them. And they seem to have nice temperments. Also think of the Florida whites. Mine have wonderful temperments and a nice dress out weight. But they do take a few weeks longer to grow out. Depending on the number of rabbits you are planning, a larger breed might work if you have it so you aren't moving the breeding stock. For my NZ when I need a rabbit, I put a nest box in the cage and they jump in and then I can lift the nest box out for moving them. The kits can be processed around 2 months and are still easy to handle at that age.

Good Luck!
Renee
S CA

As a long time breeder of Dutch I have to say they are about the most versatile of breeds they make great show rabbits great pets and are a good size to eat. Satins are Also good meat animals Havanas seem like they would b decent too really jus personal preference

If English Lops and Californians are too heavy for you, an adult Satin will be too heavy, too. Perhaps you meant Mini Satin? They should be quite good for a small meat rabbit as well.

If I were picking another breed, I would be hard pressed not to take up Dutch, especially if you are interested in dual purpose. Sure, there are mis-marks and culls...just makes it easier to decide who to eat!

That said, I've never had my hands on a Havana so I guess I couldn't really say.

Agreed pulpfaction the Dutch is one of the easiest to decided what to cull. When I first began in Dutch I had a breeder tell me Dutch were the best because they can b culled at birth (born wit markings) that seemed a lil harsh to me and a wasted of good meat but yes Dutch is a very good dual breed

Latest posts

Back