automated w atering system?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dark.lapin

Reaction score
I saw some one selling one on craigslist and I was just wondering how they work and if there is good tutorial on how to set up a system and is it cheaper than using water bottles? :?:

Well
can you put together an automated garden watering system, basically the same thing, just with nipples instead of sprinklers, and it depends on the setup, and climate, are you at risk of freezing up.

Also you have to check the watering system every day, you can have one head that plugs up, and next thing you know, you have a rabbit dead of dehydration, and the rest are fine. Oh, and if it goes down, they all loose water. That said, they are supposedly a great time saver.

Downside is you don't know if a rabbit is not drinking due to illness. With a bottle you can measure it, and if you need to medicate the water for a rabbit you need a bottle. If it's hooked up to a garden hose you cannot give apple cider vinegar, if you choose to one day or if you already do. If it's gravity fed from a bucket then you can give the acv. Also hard to clean water lines and know how dirty they are, easier to tell with a bottle.
But in warmer climates you have to fill bottles more than once a day. If you don't have a lot of time to spend on doing chores, then the watering system could be real handy... If i had a gravity fed one, i would do that for summer months (as water lines would freeze here). I don't have hydro, so i wouldn't be able to have one hooked up to a garden hose.
If it's a good price i would try it...but you may be able to make your own cheaper. Price things out.
:)

Jessykah":2vlqnoho said:
Downside is you don't know if a rabbit is not drinking due to illness. With a bottle you can measure it, and if you need to medicate the water for a rabbit you need a bottle. If it's hooked up to a garden hose you cannot give apple cider vinegar, if you choose to one day or if you already do. If it's gravity fed from a bucket then you can give the acv. Also hard to clean water lines and know how dirty they are, easier to tell with a bottle.
But in warmer climates you have to fill bottles more than once a day. If you don't have a lot of time to spend on doing chores, then the watering system could be real handy... If i had a gravity fed one, i would do that for summer months (as water lines would freeze here). I don't have hydro, so i wouldn't be able to have one hooked up to a garden hose.
If it's a good price i would try it...but you may be able to make your own cheaper. Price things out.
:)
on craigslist it said the entire set....I honestly don't like the idea of spening 240 dollars on water bottels...how do you set one up and is the watering system attackted to a bucket easier?

No, you can have siphon set ups that automatically feed ACV
as for how to set it up, find out the manufacture and read their website.

Bucket is easy only if you don't have a hose, consider that a larger setup will DRAIN a bucket in less than a day, or possible 2 a day.

I've thought of setting up a bucket system but after reading about the drawbacks I have second thoughts. Maybe I'll just stick to what works. Time is not a great consideration with me.

I honestly don't like the idea of spending 240 dollars on water bottles...how do you set one up and is the watering system attackted to a bucket easier?

Not necessarily,
in fact all you really need is the sipper tubes for a two liter soda bottle.
The capes and tubes will fit a one or two liter soda bottle.
The bottles will be costing then, only 5c a piece, and you get to drink the soda.
I find this to be quite economical, what do you think?
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I find the 20oz-1 liter bottles work best, the 2L bottle are flimsy and tend to leak, unless you get one of the specialty ones like the 'Coke' coke bottle

ottersatin":s9z127fl said:
The capes and tubes will fit a one or two liter soda bottle.
The bottles will be costing then, only 5c a piece, and you get to drink the soda.
Fantastic Idea! :)

I find the 20oz-1 liter bottles work best, the 2L bottle are flimsy and tend to leak,
unless you get one of the specialty ones like the 'Coke' coke bottle. [Jack]

It has something to do with the way you hang them on the cage.
I use a section of Cage wire 4 inches wide and ten or more inches long.
Part of that length becomes the hooks for attaching to the cage,
two hooks on top and two on bottom,on on each side.
which creates more than enough support for the bottle.
The bottom hooks are shorter and top hooks longer.
It takes a bit of trial and error till you get it hung just right.
Once you do one the rest become much easier.

The caps also fit on screw cap wine buttles. The only trouble with glass is they have to be washed now and then. With plastic bottles you just change them.

Actually, satin
my problem was with the 2L collapsing in, instead of pulling suction the bottle would simply collapse and it was a persistent 'dripper' that I could never get to slow down, a drip or two, goes with the design, a drip like a leaky faucet, is a MAJOR waste of water, and means I have to change the tray sooner.

hoodat":2tpicp21 said:
The caps also fit on screw cap wine bottles. The only trouble with glass is they have to be washed now and then. With plastic bottles you just change them.

Another problem with Glass is: If it hits the ground there is shards of glass all over,
and should it freeze, it shatters.
Most likely a problem was with that particular sipper tube and or cap.
I have had to change only a few caps and tubes in quite a long time.
I do have more than just a few extra caps and tubes from when my rabbitry was quite a bit larger.
I have had a few bottles cal-apse in on themselves but the water did not leak out.
With everything we do there is always a tiny glitch or two.
I am sorry that you could not get the Soda bottle system to work for you.

Latest posts

Back