Aspirin and rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Can one give baby aspirin to a rabbit?

and if you do so and the rabbit dies anyways, is it safe to use for dog food?

Situation:

Had someone think it "funny" perhaps to go into my rabbitry for the past three days and remove rabbits from cages (last two times cage doors of the released rabbits were locked). and the rabbit they removed last night is hopping funny...more like a bounce, not eating and acting VERY stressed.

So was thinking to just knock her on the head...but then got to thinking as she has an almost three week old litter that trying to save her life would make it easier on the kits... but I just don't know...

SO.. baby aspirin and rabbits okay? if so, how to administer in a manner that reduces stress on her (not like I want to flip her or hold her still in a strong manner.. I don't want to put any sort of pressure on her back at this point?

And if I do this, and she still dies, is her meat edible for dogs or cats??? I would assume it would be fine for people as we can take aspirin just fine.

thanks.

trying VERY hard not to be over the top angry about this.

Update: called HCF to see what she suggested since I couldn't get on to RT for a while. She suggested doing 1/4 baby aspirin in some probiotics to see if that helps. So I'll do that and see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I can always put her in the stew pot.

I believe aspirin is just a pharmaceutical form of the chemical found in willow bark, so I would think it is okay. You can also buy willow bark in capsule form at a health food store if you don't have access to the tree itself.

Wow... yes, willow bark contains salycilates, and aspirin is purified salycilic acid, so should be a fine substitute. I have no idea about the dosage, but HCF's advice sounds good to me.

Any chance you can secure your rabbitry, Ladysown? We've been keeping ours locked for some time now, just in case. We need to do more to secure it, but at least for now, they'd have to get mildly destructive to get in there.

I never would have thought to look for willow bark at a health food store! Neato! :)

i'm going to go out this afternoon when I have some energy again (have I mentioned I'm fighting influenza) and get an outdoor lock. Won't stop the determined fence jumper (but then hopefully they'd break an ankle jumping it) but will stop "the I'm going to go in and causally pet some bunnies" person. hubby will help me put up a camera.

That's great, Ladysown! Hopefully, you can get a pic of the perpetrator when they come and discover you have a lock.

Sorry you have the flu! Get better soon! :(

woot woot!!! A small bright light! Shar is looking happier in her face! She's not huddling looking majorly stressed. Still not hopping well but has a better mental outlook! Her kits are eating oatmeal well and some pellets and mowing down on hay. Shar nibbled at the hay as well! So leaving the kits where they are for now. I love the bright eyed look she gave me. :) ah.. get well girlie, get well!

I am concerned that she hasn't pooped since this morning clean up...but the brighter mental outlook has me somewhat hopeful.

This is good to know about the aspirin. I am so glad Shar is better. On another note I had some teens or someone letting out rabbits in my rabbitry . They never let them outside thank goodness. I got locks and I have kept the outside lights on until we go to bed. I have not had anymore incidents.
I hope you don't either. It was my biggest worry that one of the rabbits would fall out from a top cage that had been unlocked.

my sister had someone turning rabbits loose.of course they let loose her only lionhead buck.which cam from new jersey.she thinks it was children.

That is too bad. I am very sorry. I hope you don't have any more problems with intruders. I would post a note telling whoever it is that they caused a rabbit's death in case they come back. They aren't doing your animals any favors by messing around with them.

To be honest it sounds like your rabbit was abused and has some sort of brain damage!!! The low-dose aspirin might have helped with her pain a bit though. On another note aspirin and dogs are an iffy combination. Its very hard on a dogs stomach and anti-inflammatory for dogs generally do not include giving aspirin, just a thought. I hope you catch these morons on camera!

Latest posts

Back