Asking for feedback on free range successes and failures.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanJhan

Reaction score
When I get rabbits in the distant future, I plan on starting with cages, but will eventually shift to rabbit tractors, then maybe to colonies, then eventually to free-ranged.

The rabbits I breed will be large/giant, so raptors are less of a fear for breeding-aged adults, and they will be white, so any escapees will be easily found by me, neighbors, or predators (so no easily going feral).

There will be other livestock free-ranging in the same space. Right now I'm considering small-breed pigs and muscovy ducks, but might consider goats, sheep, and/or horses to fill certain niches.

The idea is for them to establish a sustainable population on a fenced property, but I'm worried that they'll either poison themselves on toxic plants, get killed by predators, dig under the fence, or succumb to parasites.

What are your success/fail stories?

I think long term "free ranged" rabbits, who can and will dig out, are ecologically irresponsible in most countries where European rabbits are not native. Please be sure you can contain them permanently.

If you can though (which I 100% believe you can!) I think it would be awesome! I have a limited amount of space, so this is not an option for me. If I had ample space to rotate pastures and avoid overpopulation, I would absolutely be doing this.

When I get rabbits in the distant future, I plan on starting with cages, but will eventually shift to rabbit tractors, then maybe to colonies, then eventually to free-ranged.

The rabbits I breed will be large/giant, so raptors are less of a fear for breeding-aged adults, and they will be white, so any escapees will be easily found by me, neighbors, or predators (so no easily going feral).

There will be other livestock free-ranging in the same space. Right now I'm considering small-breed pigs and muscovy ducks, but might consider goats, sheep, and/or horses to fill certain niches.

The idea is for them to establish a sustainable population on a fenced property, but I'm worried that they'll either poison themselves on toxic plants, get killed by predators, dig under the fence, or succumb to parasites.

What are your success/fail stories?
When we went to letting our colony rabbits have free access to their yards they started digging, often in corners or along fence. We joked they were helping the fox who started digging from outside. Daily chore was filling starts along fence. We let them have holes near middle
One even nested in ground, but when tunnel collapsed under our feet, twisting an ankle, we dug up kits and moved into den box in shelter. Those holes and tunnels might be a problem for your other livestock, especially horses. One day I couldn't find a buck. Finally realized I buried him filling a hole
I stuck my hand in (a little scary) hit a wall didn't realize it turned a corner and was much deeper. He was rescued but spent 4 hours buried. We ended up fencing the entire ground 8" down. Big job but eliminated lots of daily work. Our space is small. 35' x 40' divided for 2 family groups. big enough for exercise , play, social interaction. They can play at digging but not tunnel. Not big enough for sustainable echo system. I do constantly plant seeds, dig "weeds" from garden to transplant, and in season throw arm loads of greenery and brush piles in. A garden to the south is handy for feeds and direct composting manure cleaned from shelters. Have a small quail aviary in the rabbit yard. They seem to enjoy watching each other. I do not let quail out of aviary. Have had them flush overy 6' fence and don't want rabbits in quail poo. I would be more tempted the fence a smaller spot that can be secure within your big area. Electric fence won't stop diggers. Bury perimeter 2'. Keep us all posted on what works for you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_093840987.jpg
    IMG_20230707_093840987.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230720_105635486.jpg
    IMG_20230720_105635486.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230928_090414630.jpg
    IMG_20230928_090414630.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231119_100004959.jpg
    IMG_20231119_100004959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I love the idea of free-range, but I have a multi-species pasture caveat. . .a friend of mine had her rabbits in cages with an external trough-type automatic waterer. She later started having major health issues in her rabbits-- her vet finally traced it to the Muscovy ducks using the water trough--they had passed coccidiosis to the rabbits.

Ducks are messy drinkers, they foul the water quickly as they use it for bathing as well as drinking. They often 'snuffle' under the water looking for mosquito larvae, etc., which also puts any food debris in their mouth into the water. We often have problems if we have baby ducklings and chicks brooding together, as the ducks are so messy with the water.

I also have Muscovy ducks, and love them. They love bugs, and keep the fly/tick population down. Baby Muscovies can be seen stalking insects, even when they are tiny ducklings. They are great grazers, and gain weight on pasture. The adult males are the size of a small hen turkey when dressed, so there's a lot of meat there. And the hens lay eggs through most of the year, raising multiple clutches of babies. So, I'm not at all against ducks, I just think that there are issues when raised with other stock that need to be considered.

I have put litters of rabbits in an open bottom tractor. I have only had them dig out when it was really uneven ground. They are now inside a pasture with an electric fence surrounding the pasture. No predator problems or toxic plants.
How has this been going? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

You will need to be exceedingly careful if you plan to free-range rabbits. The amount of damage they can do in a short amount of time. And you need to consider more than just flying predators (and yes, owls, hawks, falcons, can take out giant breeds of rabbits as well.) but you also need to consider fox, coyote, random dogs, large cats, ferrets, weasels and the like.

Back