Are they a mini breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
So I got my rabbits from ? so I have no idea what breed they are and as far as I know they could be mini Rex's and I am breeding for meat so there is a problem. lily (not petal) is charlie magpie she will lick you forever if you let her. Her fur is silky so that’s why I thought that she might be slightly Rex. Mus (is the buck) is harlequin colored. His fur is not silky but still soft, and his temper… he bit me once and almost bit me a second time. I don’t think he bites because he is afraid of me though. And if he is in a good mood then he is easy to handle. I think he might be harlequin and lionhead.

Attachments

• B34AF6A7-B667-48B1-8896-02571E3F1819.jpeg
    B34AF6A7-B667-48B1-8896-02571E3F1819.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 6617EA2E-5898-4FE1-8972-EA289FEA047F.jpeg
    6617EA2E-5898-4FE1-8972-EA289FEA047F.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 00D4194E-66DD-433A-AB83-A2A9A0E6B689.jpeg
    00D4194E-66DD-433A-AB83-A2A9A0E6B689.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 716CB0AD-AA80-4D20-A594-87034773E48F.jpeg
    716CB0AD-AA80-4D20-A594-87034773E48F.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 17
If you're breeding for meat what's the problem? All rabbits can be meat rabbits.

I think they are mixed breeds. Are they related? Seems like the heads have the same shape. I don't think she has rex fur but I'm not good at breed ID. I see a Dutch pattern in the buck but he may be a mix of several breeds.
If you can describe the shape, weight, and other features at explained in the following article, it'll help to ID what may make up your rabbits.
https://lafeber.com/mammals/what-breed-is-my-rabbit/

Both lily and mus’s fur don’t come back when I stroke it the wrong. Lily‘s fur is dense (I think) and short, and mus’s fur is thin and a little longer. He also has a tuft of fur sticking up between his ears. Lily and mus are ruffle the same weight unfortunately the only reference I have is Manila my three year old medium sized cat who is heavier then they are but not by much.

They're mixed breeds. They're definitely not mini rex, they have the wrong type. One rule of thumb when looking at pictures for rex fur type; rex usually have curly whiskers. Rex is a simple recessive gene; so having some Rex in the line won't make it slightly softer or anything. It's all or nothing with the rex gene.

I did the rabbit rescue breed finder thing and for mus the results were harlequin and mini satin. For lily it was mini Rex, blanc de hotot and harlequin.

You live in Indonesia? My guess is completely different rabbits than we have in North America. :) They might even be a breed that is specific to your island/country. Adult weight tells us more about what their purpose might be. Meat rabbits tend to weigh 6 lbs and up. Commerical meat rabbits weigh 9 lbs and up.

Put it this way, an adult (1+ year old) meat rabbit here weighs as much or more than an adult cat. Your rabbits look smaller than that. By a lot. However, that is NOT going to be a problem--you are just going to breed toward what you want, and eat/give away/sell the rest. Pick ONE main goal and 2 smaller goals for your colony, and don't keep any that don't meet goal 1, and then use goal 2 & 3 to decide between the rest.

For instance, if I am breeding for meat, and my rabbits are all already pretty healthy, I want a heavy, fast growing rabbit with a big butt/loin. I will evaluate everyone the day I am ready to harvest and then only keep an animal if it is heavier/bigger than my current breeders were at the same age--keep records and weigh them or measure somehow so you know for sure.

second and third things might be temperment and fur quality. If I have 3 big hefty boy rabbits at butchering age, and they are bigger than my buck was at that age, or at least as big as he was, I next pick the best by fur and temperment. Since my rabbits are a fur breed I actually have specific things I want to see, like consistent color and thickness.

As part of my job I breed animals for research, and there are various genetic goals I might be breeding for--the number one thing to realize with something that breeds fast (like a rabbit, a mouse, a worm, or a bacteria) is that you can push the colony to be on average bigger or smaller, whiter or more colorful, stronger or sicker in about 3 generations, just by the choices you make. Where you start is not nearly as important as what you choose to keep going forward.

If my rabbits are weak and die a lot, I am going to reevaluate my goals to be all to do with health--and look for healthier stock to buy.

Thanks I think I will focus on size and temperament. My rabbits are lighter than a full grown cat, much lighter.

Latest posts

Back